• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Soldato
I was quite enjoying time outside with the kids, but then I passed a couple of puddles and my framerate tanked. I tried FSR but the artifacts on the nearby fencing were impossible to ignore. Ruined my day, might be time to go Nvidia.
It's been too sunny lately so no puddles so I would rather stay inside and watch some RT puddles on Cyberpunk.

Soldato
Im personally not that bothered with RT, i mean it looks nice but the performance which is needed is huge which means lots of money needed to keep up with it.

I also dislike RT, so I took an ice pick and stabbed my eyes and now I no longer need to see RT, life is better in black

Associate
It was too early for it. Cards like the rtx 2060 shouldn't exist. They are not really viable for ray tracing. Car companies can't get away with selling full price cars that can only move very slowly, if you're on a decline, with no one else in the car. Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to sell ray tracing cards that can't really do ray tracing

Soldato
RT is crap even in real life. If the Simulation we live in was in Raster maybe our Simulation wouldn't have to be limited by the speed of light and we could actually explore the universe.
That's the thing that keeps every simulation in its place and not run around the sandbox!

Man of Honour
It was too early for it. Cards like the rtx 2060 shouldn't exist. They are not really viable for ray tracing. Car companies can't get away with selling full price cars that can only move very slowly, if you're on a decline, with no one else in the car. Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to sell ray tracing cards that can't really do ray tracing

The top end of the 2000 series can do though and the lower end ones will if you render at postage stamp resolutions like 800x600 :s they had to start somewhere.

Soldato
RT is just what Nvidia uses to sell massively overpriced GPUs right, the performance is so poor they then convince you to buy another overpriced GPU to run at an acceptable framerate! :D

You then don't bother with RT at all:

1. Games doesn't support it
2. Performance is woeful
3. You just don't like the look of RT and stick with rasterization

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
RT is just what Nvidia uses to sell massively overpriced GPUs right, the performance is so poor they then convince you to buy another overpriced GPU to run at an acceptable framerate! :D

You then don't bother with RT at all:

1. Games doesn't support it
2. Performance is woeful
3. You just don't like the look of RT and stick with rasterization

the-rock-smile.gif

Man of Honour
RT makes games look miles better but the steep performance hit makes it a ‘preference’ at the mo, not really viable in many games with certain cards / settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice for screenshots, but not very practical to actually use.

A lot of the time it just makes everything look shinier. Not necessarily better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A lot of the time it just makes everything look shinier. Not necessarily better.
There's more to RT than reflections, mostly its lighting and shadows.
To me it looks way better, but without RT games like cyberpunk can still look good in screenshots.

I think in motion RT looks way better and without RT most shadows don't follow real world physics

Last edited:
Soldato
There's more to RT than reflections, mostly its lighting and shadows.
To me it looks way better, but without RT games like cyberpunk can still look good in screenshots.

I think in motion RT looks way better and without RT most shadows don't follow real world physics

But you aren't going to notice realistic shadows in motion that much, especially when focusing on other things. It's a poor use of resources when they could be used for better performance. Shadow detail should be quite far down the priorities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom