Have you ever vandalised an entry on Wikipedia?

Commissario
I have and not only that, it's now accepted as true!

Over ten years ago, I edited a page for a popular TV show and gave one of the main characters a middle name. The character never had a middle name mentioned in the series and there was just one brief shot of a document showing a middle initial. I made up a middle name that under no circumstances could be correct, it was a totally ridiculous name, in fact, not even something that would normally be considered a name.

I edited the Wikipedia page, just a small edit to add this middle name and then I basically forgot that I'd done it.

A few weeks ago, I looked back at the Wikipedia page for the TV show to see that the middle name I invented is still there. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised about it. The next thing I did was to google the characters name, including the invented middle name.

That name now appears all throughout the internet, including major news sites who, whenever they mention the actor name and some of his well known roles, use the middle name as well. Not only that, on the actors own web page where he lists characters he's played throughout his career, he includes my invented middle name. He must have taken it from Wikipedia.

The show generates some fan fiction and the middle name has been used as a major plot point in one series of stories.

When I look at the Wikipedia history, there is a comment about the middle name, one specifically says it was never mentioned in the show but another person has added a citation of the actor's own web site :)

It's something utterly harmless but that little made up addition is now effectively taken as accurate.

Have you vandalised Wikipedia? How long did it last?

Soldato
If true (never trust a Mod :D) it shows why Wiki should never, ever be taken as an "Authoritative Source" on anything, ever :D

I remember a news report involving a semi-famous UK author who couldn't change his own Wiki page which contained lots of false info (incorrect schools, kids names, timeline of events etc) because, even though he could prove he was the person the page was made about and therefore he knew what the truth was, due to Wiki's dumb as **** (and easily faked) citation rules, he couldn't point to a source "online" which would corroborate these parts his own life story :rolleyes:

It was a good idea in its initial form, but its so badly broken by this point I wouldn't mind if it disappeared one day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have consistently tried to add the guy I used to walk to school with to the 'notable alumni' section of my school's wiki page. He got done for indecent images of children and there's a few news articles to use as citations. It never stays more than a day or two.

Associate
I have and not only that, it's now accepted as true!

Over ten years ago, I edited a page for a popular TV show and gave one of the main characters a middle name. The character never had a middle name mentioned in the series and there was just one brief shot of a document showing a middle initial. I made up a middle name that under no circumstances could be correct, it was a totally ridiculous name, in fact, not even something that would normally be considered a name.

I edited the Wikipedia page, just a small edit to add this middle name and then I basically forgot that I'd done it.

A few weeks ago, I looked back at the Wikipedia page for the TV show to see that the middle name I invented is still there. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised about it. The next thing I did was to google the characters name, including the invented middle name.

That name now appears all throughout the internet, including major news sites who, whenever they mention the actor name and some of his well known roles, use the middle name as well. Not only that, on the actors own web page where he lists characters he's played throughout his career, he includes my invented middle name. He must have taken it from Wikipedia.

The show generates some fan fiction and the middle name has been used as a major plot point in one series of stories.

When I look at the Wikipedia history, there is a comment about the middle name, one specifically says it was never mentioned in the show but another person has added a citation of the actor's own web site :)

It's something utterly harmless but that little made up addition is now effectively taken as accurate.

You absolute massive tease. Also a legend. Mostly a tease though.

Have you vandalised Wikipedia? How long did it last?
Nope

Associate
Yes. I work in a small Town called Louth. I added a work colleague to the famous residents section. He was a world renowned free climber, the stunt double of Paddy from Emmerdale, and owned his own gin distillery. It lasted about an hour, bear in mine I work weekend nights. So someone was up during the night over a weekend checking the Wikipedia entry for Louth :cry:

I've never defaced anything online, but being a 90s kid, I used to write "Wanted" posters of specific school kids on A4 paper and pin them onto a telegraph pole. I eventually got caught, but it was fun while it lasted, the kids blaming each other as to who was putting up the posters :D

Back
Top Bottom