Critical Incident *breaking news* - Another stabbing!

Associate
Because emergency treatment of knife wounds has advanced significantly.

Good shout.

That’s a 20% increase. Unless you think it’s an insignificant amount yes it would show a large change than what may exist
If the population had doubled, and the homicide numbers remained the same, the homicides per 100,000 would have dropped from (and lets be generous) 2.75 per 100,000k to half that amount of 1.375 per 100,000k. Now lets be generous again, and assume that the homicides per 100k is 1.375, the population of london has not doubled.

If the absolute numbers had stayed static and the population just increased, you'd be looking at ~2.3 per 100k.

The tweet you responded to also stated the absolute numbers decreased.

Edit: Some numbers from 2006.

Homicide figures include murder, manslaughter and infanticide. Murder figures aren’t recorded separately by the Metropolitan Police.
That's why you don't get murders.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good shout.

If the population had doubled, and the homicide numbers remained the same, the homicides per 100,000 would have dropped from (and lets be generous) 2.75 per 100,000k to half that amount of 1.375 per 100,000k. Now lets be generous again, and assume that the homicides per 100k is 1.375, the population of london has not doubled.

If the absolute numbers had stayed static and the population just increased, you'd be looking at ~2.3 per 100k.

The tweet you responded to also stated the absolute numbers decreased.

Edit: Some numbers from 2006.

That's why you don't get murders.

So your posting of death rates, as stated, wasn't really useful. A more useful metric would be as follows;

Since Khan took over in 2016 there was a huge spike that dropped with covid but numbers still remain higher and are again on the rise.

Associate
So your posting of death rates, as stated, wasn't really useful. A more useful metric would be as follows;

Since Khan took over in 2016 there was a huge spike that dropped with covid but numbers still remain higher and are again on the rise.
You're posting stuff I know, I've linked the ONS data here -

Was higher last year too - 167 vs 137. Has to be noted that it's not higher for the west midlands, just the area that has west midlands police vs met police.

Stats for geeks.

Side note - it annoys me so much they don't link to the source location *shakes fist*

The posting of death rates was additional information, it was not an "instead of".

Every area apart from the North West (good job NW, though they've changed how they count stuff, so YMMV) has had their knife/sharp instrument offences go up since Khan took over. Interestingly, London has has a largish jump in the last year compared to other places.

“Since Khan”
:D

Last edited:
Soldato
If i lived in London i would buy a stab proof vest. They might go for your face / neck but most likely they will go for your torso somewhere.

There are virtually never stabbings where i live, they just jump you in a little gang of chavs and beat you up and run off.

I've lived in London for most of my 40 years and never been stabbed. By that reasoning, do you wear a crash helmet to bed, just in case you bump your head? Spent a good while in Belfast, too :cry:

Soldato

Haha yeah the London mayor with pretty much zero control over the MET budget is to blame :rolleyes: And I don't care which party is in that office, when the mayor gets 50+% of all taxes raised in London then he/she can be held responsible.

Caporegime
He literally holds the mandate for policing in the capital. Simple. No ifs. No buts.
Most of the budget is still centrally allocated however and the MET has loads of extra responsibilities that other forces don't generally need to deal with (protecting useless politicians for one).

Associate
How do knife crime rates in London compare to the rest of the country?
The worst in the country, second when you look at per 100k population.

We seem to have a bigger issue with robbery with a knife as that contributes to ~9k of our 14.5k incidents than the rest of the country. At least at a glance.

Soldato
He literally holds the mandate for policing in the capital. Simple. No ifs. No buts.

He can't increase their budget. He can't hire 1000s more police, build new or reopen police stations closed by the government. Our mayors are pretty powerless compared to other major cities around the world. They should be properly funded and given control of the city that elected them. Instead central government has control of everything that actually matters including the purse strings. Hopefully Labour change that and give elected mayors control of their cities and far more of the taxes raised.

Back
Top Bottom