• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9600KF Upgrade

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've currently got a 9600KF sat in an MSI Z390 MEG ACE with 32GB of DDR4 memory. I recently upgraded my 3060Ti to a 7800XT and it now appears I'm getting some CPU bottlenecks in certain games.

What would be a budget friendly upgrade I could make to bring the PC more up to date? Please be honest however as I'd rather have to spend more money than end up with something that won't last me a couple of years at least.

I currently game at 3440 x 1440 if that has any bearing on what CPU I'd look at. My PSU is an old Corsair AX750 that has served me extremely well, I'd rather not have to replace this if possible but understand it's getting on a bit.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this should be in the "New to PC gaming & upgrade advice" section instead.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unfortunately upgrades on the same socket are usually stupid prices used, so you're probably looking at a new motherboard and a 12600K, 13600K or better (if you want to keep your memory). You can get a 12600KF for just over £150 in the sales, so perhaps one of those with an affordable B760 DDR4 motherboard like MSI's B760-P.

Man of Honour
If I could source a 9900k second hand would that be a decent upgrade or would you say save the money and just go for the full socket change?
Very unlikely to be worthwhile, since they're the highest CPU on the socket (apart from the KS), they cost far too much to buy.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick question, with me having a 7800XT would there be any benefit from getting an AMD processor? Is there any benefits unlocked from both components being AMD?

Soldato
OP
Okay, so I'm looking at grabbing these two;

Intel Core i5 12600KF
MSI PRO B760-P WIFI DDR4

All in it's £292 delivered.

Would you say this is a good call or should I hold out for further drops?

Are the MSI PRO boards any good, I see they are aimed at workstations and not gaming?

Man of Honour
All in it's £292 delivered.
You could do a bit better than that, just FYI.

Would you say this is a good call or should I hold out for further drops?
I doubt the KF will get any cheaper, since the 12400/12400F is setting a floor.

Are the MSI PRO boards any good, I see they are aimed at workstations and not gaming?
The B760-P looks better than the cheap ones, since it has chunky heatsinks, 2x M.2 slots and a rear USB Type-C, but admittedly it doesn't have many USB 3 and the sound is basic (though it does have SPDIF and plenty of jacks).

Soldato
OP
Motherboard wise I just need it to drive my DT770s via the 3.5mm jack and then rear USB is just speakers and wireless mouse and keyboard. I quite like how understated it is. My MEG ACE has a load of random LEDs and RGB and it's a bit annoying to be honest.

I don't mind paying a few quid more if I'd see some noticable difference but the PC is used soley for gaming so it doesn't need anything too fancy.

Soldato
OP
Overclock that 9600kf
I can get it running reasonably stable at around 4.8GHz / 4.9GHz but anything above that and it either stutters or blue screens. I'd rather just upgrade to something straight forward and stable as I don't have the time to put much effort into getting a stable overclock.

Man of Honour
I can get it running reasonably stable at around 4.8GHz / 4.9GHz but anything above that and it either stutters or blue screens. I'd rather just upgrade to something straight forward and stable as I don't have the time to put much effort into getting a stable overclock.
If you don't mind spending then go all out 7800x3d.

Soldato
OP
My upgrade plans are now on hold as my car is looking like it'll need a new turbo so I'm going to have to pour my money into that pit.

Once the car, the missus and the kid are all happy I'll revisit this :cry:

Thanks for the help so far though, with a bit of luck they'll be a few more options around when I look again in a month or two!

Back
Top Bottom