Advert shown before unlocking phone.

Associate
Sounds tottally absurd, but a quick search shows it's already being used by some firmware and adware or apps. I didn't think we were there yet, but it does seem we are. I generally avoid apps if a browser site exists, but a very few sites have already barred this practice.

Can you see this as default behaviour for stock Android?
Will a static ad be enough for you to quit, or will it take a 30second ad before you can access your phone be the reason you quit?
(Camera and emergency calls lightly exempt)
Or do you think this will just be left as an option like it is now, and this couldn't possibly happen?

To me it doesn't seem far from the imagination given an increasing amount of people are either addicted or reliant on their phones, and we have only two off the shelf operating systems, also i'll add both are very average.

Soldato
I kinda hate phones already, I'd go back to dumb phones if it wasn't for everyone using whatsapp (messaging app requiring a phone, what a meme) and 2fa (maybe there are ways around that idk). Otherwise, my phone is only used for reading forums while I poop.

I generally live an ad-free life, as much as possible, I hate it when anyone tries to manipulate me.

Last edited:
I kinda hate phones already, I'd go back to dumb phones if it wasn't for everyone using whatsapp (messaging app requiring a phone, what a meme) and 2fa (maybe there are ways around that idk). Otherwise, my phone is only used for reading forums while I poop.

I generally live an ad-free life, as much as possible, I hate it when anyone tries to manipulate me.

I deleted WhatsApp about 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I do use Signal, but for one Zuckerberg isn't eating my data and two far less people use it.

Associate

I'd love to ditch WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram, but they're ubiquitous among my friends and family. I tend to use Signal with my friends who take a similar view of Meta.

I'd love to ditch WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram, but they're ubiquitous among my friends and family. I tend to use Signal with my friends who take a similar view of Meta.

Getting off topic, but my final justification was "why am I letting an app/company dictate my social interactions?"

If I want to get in touch with someone I can text, or pick up the phone. The latter is something I find myself doing more these days as a result.

Caporegime
Sounds tottally absurd, but a quick search shows it's already being used by some firmware and adware or apps. I didn't think we were there yet, but it does seem we are. I generally avoid apps if a browser site exists, but a very few sites have already barred this practice.

Can you see this as default behaviour for stock Android?
Will a static ad be enough for you to quit, or will it take a 30second ad before you can access your phone be the reason you quit?
(Camera and emergency calls lightly exempt)
Or do you think this will just be left as an option like it is now, and this couldn't possibly happen?

To me it doesn't seem far from the imagination given an increasing amount of people are either addicted or reliant on their phones, and we have only two off the shelf operating systems, also i'll add both are very average.
Adverts before you can unlock your phone would create absolute uproar. People wouldn't put up with it.

Associate
OP
Adverts before you can unlock your phone would create absolute uproar. People wouldn't put up with it.

At what point of advert integration do you think will be enough for people to stop using Android? I ask because we've seen Google push harder and harder into the ads, as well as other big business take unpopular decisions that haven't been the downfall of the companies still, despite many wishing for the downfall of them.

Associate
OP
Has anyone actually bought anything that has been forced upon them through advertising......I have not.

There's a chap at work (~27yrs) who likes tracking ads because "it could be something i'd like to buy." I doubt he's in the minority either, some people like to buy buy buy, and the traffic is tracked in detail we know.

Soldato
Amazon are the only company who I've know to use adverts like this. They still offer a slightly (only very) price on their tablet range if you buy if including adverts. I'm fairly certain the Amazon Fire Phone did this as well back in the day.

If you're reading this and thinking "Fire phone?" then I'm not surprised :D.... it didn't really do that well. I remember there was one with some crazy front facing IR camera setup to perform some 3D effects. Guess there was more than 1 possible reason for it not doing well.

Associate
A family member does python programming for some advert app company and even on a pc if you hover your mouse over an ad it tracks some form of data. He hates it and is looking to move already.
I wish linux phones were a direct competitor to the likes of Google and Apple but you had to pay a small price for each app and no tracking or ads were guaranteed.
Subscription services to remove ads are another thing I detest. YT being the worst of them all. Can't even default 1080p anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom