Alternate app stores on the way but not to the UK

Soldato
It's not so simple, have you seen the fees Apple will be charging to those outside of the app store?

I doubt many EU iPhones will install apps from outside of the official store because they simply don't care that it even exists. I try to avoid installing them in the first place these days, so many apps are just the website in an app wrapper and just using the website is often quicker and easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Android has had alternative app store and the general public don't use them in any way, despite some big names pushing them (Amazon, Samsung, etc). I doubt this would make any real difference.

Soldato
Android has had alternative app store and the general public don't use them in any way, despite some big names pushing them (Amazon, Samsung, etc). I doubt this would make any real difference.

This is all just politics - the brave EU forcing the evil corporations to change their ways - the fact that Apple has found away to make something worse is just lol...

Associate
I saw LTT's take on it on their WAN show this morning - they said Apple had set it up to be as unattractive as possible, with lots of fees - no surprises there. I'm not sure it'll ever come to anything useful/meaningful if they're allowed to control competing platforms in this manner.

Soldato
I can understand why but I don’t want to expose my phone to something that’s not been through Apple’s checks. I’m happy to carry on using the official App Store.
I'm very happily embedded in the Apple ecosystem for exactly this reason.

Soldato
I can understand why but I don’t want to expose my phone to something that’s not been through Apple’s checks. I’m happy to carry on using the official App Store.
But Apple's 'checks' doesn't guarantee security nor safety as there is malware floating around on Apple's App Store.

Personally if Apple lifted their restrictions around browsers and emulators then i would be a lot happier but as i carry an Android phone any way then it's not much of a biggie personally.

Soldato
OP
From what I've read there will still be checks, it's not like third parties will be allowed to upload anything they want.

• Notarisation for iOS apps — a baseline review that applies to all apps, regardless of their distribution channel, focused on platform integrity and protecting users. Notarisation involves a combination of automated checks and human review.
  • App installation sheets — that use information from the Notarisation process to provide at-a-glance descriptions of apps and their functionality before download, including the developer, screenshots, and other essential information.
  • Authorisation for marketplace developers — to ensure marketplace developers commit to ongoing requirements that help protect users and developers.
  • Additional malware protections — that prevent iOS apps from launching if they’re found to contain malware after being installed to a user’s device.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see google is now charging devs for circumventing their app store - these EU rules are becoming very lucrative for big tech companies - good job EU lol..

Reactions: KIA
Back
Top Bottom