AMD Ryzen Spec

Soldato
Just wondering what people thought of this PC upgrade spec? I'm looking for a PC for gaming, video editing, music editing, running virtual machines and general programming work. Any advice is appreciated.

I was thinking of getting an Intel i7 6900K or i7 6950X but the money saved on the Ryzen CPU was just too much not to ignore and this system looks pretty capable for what I want a PC to do.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,623.75
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
OP
Looks good, but I'd be tempted to leave the gpu purchase for a bit. At least until the AMD and Nvidia events next week.

Next week? Do you have a specific date for them? I didn't know there were events scheduled. Thank you for letting me know. If AMD release Vega or Nvidia release the 1080Ti that would be an instant purchase for me.

Associate
Next week? Do you have a specific date for them? I didn't know there were events scheduled. Thank you for letting me know. If AMD release Vega or Nvidia release the 1080Ti that would be an instant purchase for me.

No problem, they are both going to be held on Tuesday 28th. It is going to be the 1080ti also so you're in luck :D

You can see the "clue" here on Nvidias website...

Www.geforce.com

"It's almost time"​

Soldato
I would hang fire for some real reviews on Ryzen before purchasing anything. You could also save by going with the R7 1700 and overclocking it yourself. Check with OCUK regarding cooler compatibility, as AM4 uses different mounting holes than AM3+ AFAIK.

Regarding the 1080 ti you will more than likely have to wait a few extra weeks for aftermarket versions to appear. I personally wouldn't buy a Founders edition (Or whatever they are going to call it). Also you are going to be looking at £900+ minimum imo at launch I would guess.

For the rest of the spec the Samsung 960 EVO is a lot faster than the 850 PRO.

A 750W psu will easily be enough. The Bitfenix Whisper is a solid unit.

The BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 is a very good cooler, but they can sometimes interfere with the top pcie slot. There is no info yet on BeQuiet's website regarding compatibility so an AIO is a safer choice. The H110i will easily match/better the performance of the DR3.

Total: £2,379.87

Soldato
OP
I would hang fire for some real reviews on Ryzen before purchasing anything. You could also save by going with the R7 1700 and overclocking it yourself. Check with OCUK regarding cooler compatibility, as AM4 uses different mounting holes than AM3+ AFAIK.

Regarding the 1080 ti you will more than likely have to wait a few extra weeks for aftermarket versions to appear. I personally wouldn't buy a Founders edition (Or whatever they are going to call it). Also you are going to be looking at £900+ minimum imo at launch I would guess.

For the rest of the spec the Samsung 960 EVO is a lot faster than the 850 PRO.

A 750W psu will easily be enough. The Bitfenix Whisper is a solid unit.

The BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 is a very good cooler, but they can sometimes interfere with the top pcie slot. There is no info yet on BeQuiet's website regarding compatibility so an AIO is a safer choice. The H110i will easily match/better the performance of the DR3.

Total: £2,379.87

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I built this system using the OCUK system configurator for AMD Ryzen because I want OCUK to build the system for me (I hate the hassle of building my own system I just want it to work) so I'm pretty sure the cooler should work. If it doesn't that is OCUKs problem since they offer it as an option. As for the Samsung 850 Pro versus the 860 Evo I really want the Pro for the increased write durability and better long term reliability based on what I do (reading and writing large video files all the time soon uses up write durability). I guess I could get the 1TB 860 Pro M.2 NVMe drive instead although is pretty damn expensive. I originally budgeted £4k but if I can get away with spending less that would be good. As for the 1080Ti costing £900 that could be doable or it might lower the cost of the 1080 which might end up being the better deal. I guess I'll wait till the announcement. I agree that if I do go for it I should wait for third party cards rather than the founders edition.

Soldato
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I built this system using the OCUK system configurator for AMD Ryzen because I want OCUK to build the system for me (I hate the hassle of building my own system I just want it to work) so I'm pretty sure the cooler should work. If it doesn't that is OCUKs problem since they offer it as an option. As for the Samsung 850 Pro versus the 860 Evo I really want the Pro for the increased write durability and better long term reliability based on what I do (reading and writing large video files all the time soon uses up write durability). I guess I could get the 1TB 860 Pro M.2 NVMe drive instead although is pretty damn expensive. I originally budgeted £4k but if I can get away with spending less that would be good. As for the 1080Ti costing £900 that could be doable or it might lower the cost of the 1080 which might end up being the better deal. I guess I'll wait till the announcement. I agree that if I do go for it I should wait for third party cards rather than the founders edition.

Ok I didn't know that it was a configurator spec, so yeah OCUK will sort out any issue with the cooler.

The 850 PRO does have a longer warranty of 10 years vs 3 years but if you look at the TBW figure (i.e How much DATA you can write before it is likely to fail) the 850 PRO has 300TBW whereas the 960 EVO has 400TBW. I guess if you plan on keeping it for more than 3 years then the 850 PRO has the slight edge.

If you drop down to the 1700 cpu then you should be able to fit the more expensive 960 PRO 1TB in there. That has a 5 year warranty or 800TBW.

The £900 is just a stab in the dark as there are no concrete prices yet. It should launch at less than the Titan XP though which was around £1099 if I remember correctly.

Soldato
OP
Ok I didn't know that it was a configurator spec, so yeah OCUK will sort out any issue with the cooler.

The 850 PRO does have a longer warranty of 10 years vs 3 years but if you look at the TBW figure (i.e How much DATA you can write before it is likely to fail) the 850 PRO has 300TBW whereas the 960 EVO has 400TBW. I guess if you plan on keeping it for more than 3 years then the 850 PRO has the slight edge.

If you drop down to the 1700 cpu then you should be able to fit the more expensive 960 PRO 1TB in there. That has a 5 year warranty or 800TBW.

The £900 is just a stab in the dark as there are no concrete prices yet. It should launch at less than the Titan XP though which was around £1099 if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the help :). I think I'll got for the 1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe drive. It is within budget and the speeds are amazing :). Plus hopefully it'll last 5 years which is how long I am hoping the computer will last. Just have to wait for the Nvidia announcement now.

Back
Top Bottom