Any one fit a carpet?

Soldato
OP
Got the carpet arriving tomorrow. As the roll is about 1.2m too wide (4m width rolls) I was thinking about hacking off a meter so that its closer to the finished room size and easier to wrangle.

Does anyone think it would be easy enough to hack through it with a saw whilst it's still rolled up?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got the carpet arriving tomorrow. As the roll is about 1.2m too wide (4m width rolls) I was thinking about hacking off a meter so that its closer to the finished room size and easier to wrangle.

Does anyone think it would be easy enough to hack through it with a saw whilst it's still rolled up?
Careful with that, 1.2m surplus is obviously only 60cm extra each side so not a huge margin for error, and you can trim that off in situ instead and save yourself some time and an additional job.

Imo the hardest part of carpet fitting is manoeuvring a huge roll around, folding it, kicking it, shuffling it into position etc. There are some good YouTube vids with techniques on folding and moving around.

Soldato
OP
The room was only 2.5x 2.4m so I unrolled it in the garden and cut off the 4m width down in one go then rolled it back up and took it up.

Fairly painless job, took me a while to get the nack of stretching it but overall not too difficult of a job. Don't think I'd want to do a large room though.

The hardest bit was cutting it around the edges so you didn't leave too much that it was hard to tuck behind and that you didn't shave too much off. Lots of trial and error on that bit but got easier as I got through it.

Associate
I just had two fitted but at a bit mates rates. 5x5m x2 - £100 a room.

I'm quite proficient with things but don't really have the time. I watched him do a bit and it seems terribly easy and the hard bit is the cutting it to the right size.

You need a knee kicker, bolster and cutter - https://www.tooltime.co.uk/products...MIxcyD_oXbhQMVzJxQBh3Y_gkvEAQYAyABEgLmcPD_BwE

Fitting gripper is easy, as is underlay. For the size you're talking, I'd defo give it a go...!
Handy link thank you

Back
Top Bottom