Anyone use a Virpil HOTAS ?

Soldato
Looking at investing into a Virpil setup as they get a lot of praise in the simulation community for material and build quality.

Anyone here got any experience with their sticks and throttle ?

Soldato
Yep, Brilliant bits of kit.
I have the CM2 throttle, Which i may upgrade to the CM3 just for afterburner bits.
Also Have the Alpha Stick and warbrd base. Which I keep meaning to put the stronger springs in it..Or upgrade to the t50cm

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yep, Brilliant bits of kit.
I have the CM2 throttle, Which i may upgrade to the CM3 just for afterburner bits.
Also Have the Alpha Stick and warbrd base. Which I keep meaning to put the stronger springs in it..Or upgrade to the t50cm

I'm currently window shopping and so far I'm looking at getting the right handed version of the Constellation Alpha Prime stick, WarBRD-D Base and Mongoose T-50CM3 throttle.

Soldato
I'm currently window shopping and so far I'm looking at getting the right handed version of the Constellation Alpha Prime stick, WarBRD-D Base and Mongoose T-50CM3 throttle.
For the cost in upgrade If i were to do it again id go for the other base. I think the WardBRD base is a little light... Although as I've said I've yet to change the springs to stronger ones...

Associate

My mate recently bought that same setup (as a HOSAS) and the build quality on the Alpha Prime sticks is fantastic. They feel very nice.

The base feels good but he likes his sticks as light as possible so I haven't tried the heavier springs. The WarBRD base has a greater range of movement than my VKB Gunfighter and is designed to be used without an extension. If that's a route you ever plan to go down then the T50 base would be worth the extra money.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve been a Virpil user for several years now. I have a Warbird base, the other joystick base, a CM1 and CM3 throttle, Alpha and CM1 grips and the first two panels.
I’m currently thinking about their collective.

I’m a massive fan. It’s the best built flight sim gear that I have used (also have gear from Thrustmaster, WinWing, Total Controls and MFG.

It’s not been completely trouble free, as I’ve had control boards fail in two of the older units. However, their support was excellent in providing guidance and replacement parts.

The only real areas of opportunity that I see are:
- they don’t yet sell a force feedback base. My view is that it’s just a matter of time, and I have confidence that they’ll only release something genuinely good
- the units are “generic” in their design, ie not trying to emulate say the throttle of an F16. As I fly many aircraft types in DCS, it doesn’t bother me, but I understand the appeal

Back
Top Bottom