Poll: *** The Official 2024 iPad thread (the Pro has the M4 chip and everything!) ***

Which 2024 iPad are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Soldato
Their share price performance disagrees with you.

Down -1.1% this year. Microsoft are up +12.4%, META +33.8%.

The reason the share price hasn’t done so well this year is because of disappointing/just OK-ish earnings results, so I would argue it does agree with me!

Man of Honour
I’m talking about over the course of his tenure. You can’t chop and change CEOs based on single year performance.

Associate
My 11 inch IPad Pro M4 256gb arrived yesterday along with the Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil Pro plus a 3rd party ESR folio sleeve.

Just finished setting it all up, very very impressed with the reduced thickness, new display plus the speed increase from my old M1 version.

Perfect device for my needs and it will get a lot of use too, for £18 the ESR folio was worth a punt too.

Cheers All

Associate
My 11 inch IPad Pro M4 256gb arrived yesterday along with the Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil Pro plus a 3rd party ESR folio sleeve.

Just finished setting it all up, very very impressed with the reduced thickness, new display plus the speed increase from my old M1 version.

Perfect device for my needs and it will get a lot of use too, for £18 the ESR folio was worth a punt too.

Cheers All
Might to take a look at the ESR ones they seem to be a good alternative to the Apple ones.

Soldato
Not a fan of nano texture on other Apple displays so didn't do it. Happy with a trade off bit of glare for the increased sharpness and brightness!
Yeah yeah yeah OK! I researched a little over lunchtime and decided to exchange as the downsides are quite noticeable. I'll set up the replacement later.

Soldato
Uh oh...

Looks like Apple didn't put in the time to do a proper sub-pixel antialiasing for this exact formation of OLED. I do find these displays less sharp on text/edges than the previous iPad screens of the same density, but this is mostly fixable in software.

Associate
Is anyone having issues with the YouTube app on the m4 13 ? It works in browser but the app doesn’t want to play the videos so strange
This was due to NORD VPN, re-installed that and its fine, in-case anyone else has that issue.

I got the cheap ESR folio only to learn that the new smart folio has a new stand up mode which I always wanted sigh...

Soldato
Pencil Pro owners - heads up that Find My is not turned on by default. You need to go into the Find My app and add the pencil manually.

Soldato
Well, small update.

The keyboard for the old Pro works with the Air, both 11" and 13".

The pencil (the one that has the flat side that got replaced with pencil pro) connects but doesnt actually work as I have no found out. Would have been nice of the Apple staff member to point that out.. either lack of training or didn't give a s*** as I was buying yet another iPad. Bit miffed now, that's another £129.

Soldato
Had ago of the 13 inch iPad Pro in a shop today - yeah it's thin, screens obviously better and that oled contrast.

Otherwise its the same of course - I'm really waiting on the software updates, I just can't do much with my 2021 iPad Pro 11 inch - I just want proper Lightroom and proper photoshop.

I had ago of Final Cut Pro on the new model - its nice, pretty good, surprised there was a little bit of jumpiness with the built in 4k HDR footage I was editing on it - dont get me wrong it was quick video editing but a fraction jerky on the time line sometimes.

Associate
Had ago of the 13 inch iPad Pro in a shop today - yeah it's thin, screens obviously better and that oled contrast.

Otherwise its the same of course - I'm really waiting on the software updates, I just can't do much with my 2021 iPad Pro 11 inch - I just want proper Lightroom and proper photoshop.

I had ago of Final Cut Pro on the new model - its nice, pretty good, surprised there was a little bit of jumpiness with the built in 4k HDR footage I was editing on it - dont get me wrong it was quick video editing but a fraction jerky on the time line sometimes.
That’s the thing really, the new M4 has a top notch display and power to spare but running iPhone software.

Soldato
Use resolve and the affinity portfolio of programs. Much more “desktop” like in how they work.

The issue I’ve found with the new iPad isn’t the lack of power, it’s more than able to do what it needs to do but the lack of speed in the SSD I think is the bottleneck in these things. 1800mbs just doesn’t cut it and on the smaller sizes the read speeds are around 700 which is shocking for such an expensive device.

Soldato
Just found out that the M4 is Apples first Armv9 CPU. That is pretty interesting if you look into the instruction set. This is an interesting YouTube video on the M4:

Back
Top Bottom