Aprilia RSV Tuono 1000 - Gen 1 - Sudden Issue

Associate
Was running perfectly fine for a while. Performed an oil change, filter, airbox, spark plugs, chip FR100 and also been tuned by AP Workshop and had the fine tuning done. Bike was working perfectly fine for weeks until Sunday where I got home from work, took a shower and came back out to the bike and started it. Went to pull away and it cut out. I then turned it back on and it felt really rough so I took it for a test ride and got some fuel and as I was letting off the throttle the exhaust was popping and banging below 3K. And then all of a sudden a massive bang to indicate a misfire. It felt like it was hesitating and jumpy below 3k revs. I’ve been told to check for an air leak but can’t seem to find anything!

The bikes idle is now really rough and on idle every now and then I hear a hiss and it’ll drop the revs sometimes cutting out and sometimes staying on. Unsure of what to look for!

This issue came out of nowhere and only happened after I went over a small pothole so not sure if anything could have came loose or it’s just coincidence.

HELP?!
frown.gif

I heard @Draeger is the master of these.

Caporegime
Sounds spark related to me, especially after you just swapped the plugs out. Pop the old plugs back in and see if the problem goes away. If it does, swap out one of the plugs. If it does it again, that's the faulty plug. If it doesn't, swap the other "new" plug in and repeat.

Make sure the plug caps are properly on the plugs first obvs, the new plugs might be perfectly find and the HT lead is just either loose in the cap, or the cap is loose on the plug.

Associate
Common faults with the early RSV 1000 engines were stators and fuel pumps. I believe Aprilia issued a recall for the fuel pump, but the stator is an ongoing issue and well known common fault, even to this day people carry spares in their garage etc.

I'd start basic and check fuel filter for clogging and any trapped breather pipes. Then move onto checking voltage of the stator. Just google RSV 1000 stator/brown connector, there's tons of info on how to check them.

I believe TallPaulS had issues with the fuel pump on his Tuono (quite a few years ago now. Maybe worth doing a search in this forum for any pointers under his username)

Back
Top Bottom