Asrock WRX90 - Ubuntu Networking Issue & More

Associate
Hello everyone,

I come to you today aged 10 years in the last 7 days. I’ve been trying to get a new build going, and it’s been a right pain. I’m now on a flight for work, hoping to get this typed out before we take off.

Specs:
WRX90 WS EVO
7965x Pro
3x 4000 adas (1080ti to get a display, re secondary issue)
Samsung 990 pro
Ubuntu 22.04 (tried a few versions in the 22 range)

I’ll break the 2 main issues down into primary and secondary.

Primary: Networking with Ubuntu does not work, at all. Can’t connect to LAN and using my phone as a wired hot spot doesn’t yield any results either. I’ve tried every hack/tweak/fix I can find by searching the web; nada. Network manager appears to be running, I simply don’t get a connection.

I see this video, which makes it seem Linux is supposed to work out of the box and it’s what brings me here today: https://youtu.be/UUSsEgzmqU8?si=q_-d9XRf8wKvN2Uz

Installing windows immediately detects and connects to the internet, so something is clearly going on with Ubuntu.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m supposed to do here. I didn’t buy a server board to run windows and my applications are limited on that OS

Help

Secondary: On the initial install of this build, I was unable to get a display output. It took a few hours of confusion before I tried an old 1080ti with an HDMI port before I realized the BIOS was only displaying via HDMI. This is still an issue even now, but at least, after an OS is installed, I get a display. Problem is I can’t get to the BIOS without HDMI… has anyone experienced this before?

Typing it all out, the issues really don’t seem that bad, but they’ve consumed so much of my time and if anyone smarter than I had a clue what’s causing either of them, please let me know! There are pretty much zero resources for this board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly what have you tried and what outputs do you see?

Does
Code:
ip address
show an interface with an IP address? Does the interface show as up? If it's up and no ip address then either your router is not providing a dhcp IP or it's not successfully connected to it - try a different cable / different port / remove any powerline adapters from the equation.

Associate
OP
Exactly what have you tried and what outputs do you see?

Does
Code:
ip address
show an interface with an IP address? Does the interface show as up? If it's up and no ip address then either your router is not providing a dhcp IP or it's not successfully connected to it - try a different cable / different port / remove any powerline adapters from the equation.
Hi Semple, thanks for the response.

I’ve tried configuring netplan as suggested in similar issues, tried using my phone as a tethered hotspot, tried installing different versions of Ubuntu, tried using different ports, and tried a different OS (which worked). I also tried manually installing the Ethernet drivers, but I got Rick rolled when it stated “make” was required to complete, which I couldn’t download… because I have no internet access.

Network manager appears to be running, but during a shut down I do see an error about it being unable to start, so I’m not sure what that’s about.

I’ll run the command you provided when I get back, but keep in mind it works on windows and on my second build, which uses a different motherboard.

Soldato
With regards to the BIOS not displaying on anything but HDMI, is it on the latest version? Looks like there have been a few updates for that board on the Asrock site. The release notes are pretty rubbish though "optimize BIOS settings", etc...

I hope you manage to get everything sorted, as that's going to be a glorious system when it's all working!

Man of Honour
Secondary: On the initial install of this build, I was unable to get a display output. It took a few hours of confusion before I tried an old 1080ti with an HDMI port before I realized the BIOS was only displaying via HDMI. This is still an issue even now, but at least, after an OS is installed, I get a display. Problem is I can’t get to the BIOS without HDMI… has anyone experienced this before?

Typing it all out, the issues really don’t seem that bad, but they’ve consumed so much of my time and if anyone smarter than I had a clue what’s causing either of them, please let me know! There are pretty much zero resources for this board.
This is a fairly common issue and can usually be resolved by one of:
- BIOS update for motherboard.
- Firmware update for the graphics card.
- Replacement certified cable.

The behaviour can sometimes be different between UEFI and Legacy/CSM mode too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom