• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus issues BIOS update to solve Intel CPU game crashing.

Soldato
My guess would be most customers would not know how to manually setup a cpu in the bios
I don't even know what many of the cpu settings in the bios are myself

As long as I figured out how to run my 14700k with a undervolt and set the power draw levels to Intel spec, did the same when I had the 12700k, that seems to be as far as I go in the BIOS, oh and XMP for the memory.
There are so many settings, sub menus and and the like, I have not got a clue as to what most of it means.
At one point I watched a few of "skatterbencher" videos, including using subs on occasion. I recognised that he was talking English, but it might as well as been gibberish for what it meant to me.
Then again at the time of watching those I had some thoughts that overclocking might still be relevant for my use, thankfully that seems to not be the case. Altho Asus, in particular, seem to have offered a pre-bake default option if you buy one of their boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
As long as I figured out how to run my 14700k with a undervolt and set the power draw levels to Intel spec, did the same when I had the 12700k, that seems to be as far as I go in the BIOS, oh and XMP for the memory.
There are so many settings, sub menus and and the like, I have not got a clue as to what most of it means.
At one point I watched a few of "skatterbencher" videos, including using subs on occasion. I recognised that he was talking English, but it might as well as been gibberish for what it meant to me.
Then again at the time of watching those I had some thoughts that overclocking might still be relevant for my use, thankfully that seems to not be the case. Altho Asus, in particular, seem to have offered a pre-bake default option if you buy one of their boards.
My 14900k doesn’t like being undervolted,

I have left the PL1 on the Asus default of 253watts and I changed the PL2 from unlimited to 295watts to stop the cpu from hitting 100c with the 330watts or whatever it was drawing when it had the PL2 set to Asus unlimited default setting

I also left the PL2 default asus boost time at 96seconds

This is with the older bios and not the new bios with the changed default safe limits

Last edited:
Soldato
My 14900k doesn’t like being undervolted,

I have left the PL1 on the Asus default of 253watts and I changed the PL2 from unlimited to 295watts to stop the cpu from hitting 100c with the 330watts or whatever it was drawing when it had the PL2 set to Asus unlimited default setting

I also left the PL2 default asus boost time at 96seconds

This is with the older bios and not the new bios the changed default safe limits
I was surprised to see what a 0.07v undervolt meant in terms of vcore and watts used etc....
Thankfully, no noticed stability issues.

Even tho Gigabytes BIOS had unlimited values for the power limits, iirc, it was only a few games that used the CPU enough where that might have made a difference by limiting it.

Running at 4k with a 4080 it is not usual to be CPU limited.

At least you have been able to make some difference to try and limit the temps

Soldato
I had to do most of this stuff just to keep temps reasonable with the D15S I wanted to run on the 13900K. I already did most of the work, so I haven't bothered with the newer BIOS versions.

The only thing I was missing was the AC LLC = DC LLC. I have now fixed both of those at 0.4.

Operating voltage went up a hair, (-0.010 offset) but sill tops out in the mid 1.3xx range and droops to low 1.2xx / high 1.1vxx under heavy all-core load.

I capped the multiplier at 55 since it never seemed to do any real work at the 58 peak anyway.

Oh, and my Asus Hero board defaulted to "MAX ALL THE THINGS", so my D15S had no chance at default settings lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Updated my Asus bios yesterday and applied the Intel baseline. Ram was underclocked to something like 2400 so had to increase back to 3600..... Ran a game for 5 minutes and pop, my old issue of games randomly alt-tab'ing back to the desktop. Never seen any Nvidia video memory errors. Yes Windows 10, all updates applied, latest nvidia driver and no issues in device manager.... Luckily I can game for a few hours on a good day before the weird issue rears it's ugly head.

Associate
I had to do most of this stuff just to keep temps reasonable with the D15S I wanted to run on the 13900K. I already did most of the work, so I haven't bothered with the newer BIOS versions.

The only thing I was missing was the AC LLC = DC LLC. I have now fixed both of those at 0.4.

Operating voltage went up a hair, (-0.010 offset) but sill tops out in the mid 1.3xx range and droops to low 1.2xx / high 1.1vxx under heavy all-core load.

I capped the multiplier at 55 since it never seemed to do any real work at the 58 peak anyway.

Oh, and my Asus Hero board defaulted to "MAX ALL THE THINGS", so my D15S had no chance at default settings lol.

Was the D15s able to keep up after the tuning ?

Soldato
Was the D15s able to keep up after the tuning ?
Yes, but the fan does go to 100% (which doesn't sound bad because it's a big Noctua fan) but the fans on the front of the Fractal North case are tied to the CPU temp too, and they are kind of loud when the CPU is under full load, but not enough to make me further tune things.

Max temp with Topaz Ai rendering 3 videos (100% CPU usage) was 91C in a 24C room.

Back
Top Bottom