B650M-B -MSI - questions

Associate
Hey guys.

I bought this board to run my 7600 with the option to upgrade to the 7800X3D at the back end of the year. I watched a video review of the board and I dont have any heat sinks.
Is this board OK or should I be considering upgrading - allI'm really bothered about is my FPS in games, i have noticed the board takes 30 seconds to get to the MSI screen then more or less instantly boots.
A guy on the MSI forum told me it was how AMD checks RAM.
My RAM is running fine BTW.

I've also seen that putting a heat sink on the board near the CPU is sometimes modded on - this wouldnt be a hard mod would it?

any tips - thanks.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've also seen that putting a heat sink on the board near the CPU is sometimes modded on - this wouldnt be a hard mod would it?
it wouldn't be a hard mod, just costs £££ and probably in excess of a percentage of the board's worth...
personally wouldn't bother. the phrase polishing a turd comes into mind

Is this board OK or should I be considering upgradin
the board should run a 7600 very easily. the 7600 is exteremly power efficient so no need to worry. even that turd of a board would be able to handle it

i have noticed the board takes 30 seconds to get to the MSI screen then more or less instantly boots.
that's due to memory training
enable "memory context restore" in the bios to reduce the boot time

Man of Honour
Is this board OK or should I be considering upgrading
If you're referring to the HUB review, keep in mind that they're running cinebench, which is a very intensive benchmark, whereas gaming will usually be much lower power draw and give the VRMs much less work to do/heat to handle.

If you want to be completely safe with the 7800X3D, I'd set it to use only 65 watt mode, which should lose you very little performance (TPU had it on average of just 49 watts while gaming, though a few did reach 80).

Man of Honour
Turd board is ok then for the one year I had planned out of it.
lmao
:cry: If all you do is game, I think it is fine, honestly. I do believe HUB's reviews are an important contribution, but their VRM tests are pretty hardcore for the average user. If you plan to run intensive stuff for hours with a higher-end CPU, then there's definitely a good reason to upgrade, but just for gaming? Nah. I'd say it matters more for higher-end PCs anyway because they are often water cooled and that doesn't send any air to the VRMs.

Back
Top Bottom