Best air cooled ITX case for a 4070?

Soldato
Anyone here have any views on the best ITX case for air cooling and something like a 4070? From what i've watched and read so far there seem to be mixed reviews with nothing standing out in parituclar. I did think the 2000D was a good choice but am not so sure now?

Soldato
Pick cases you like the look of and work from there imo.

4070 has a 200W TDP so won't be too difficult to cool.

NR200
Dan A4 H20
FormdT1

Above are examples with decent cooling.

edit: 2000D is a decent case too if that's what you like.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 for the Dan A4 H2O. I love mine. I've got a 12700K and a 6900 XT (280w) and have had no issues with temperatures despite the Earth's attempts to boil us all alive last summer.

Soldato
As said, a 4070 is fairly friendly in terms of thermals, even in an ITX environment.

I have a NR200P with a 2.7 slot 3070 and it doesn't exceed 60 degrees in gaming, with no fans on the bottom of the case. I have read that some larger cards can struggle with thermals in the 2000D but I think this is more relevant to the more power hungry (and hotter) cards of the previous 3000 generation.

Soldato
OP
+1 for the Dan A4 H2O. I love mine. I've got a 12700K and a 6900 XT (280w) and have had no issues with temperatures despite the Earth's attempts to boil us all alive last summer.
When you search for them, they're not available? Even on OcUK?
As said, a 4070 is fairly friendly in terms of thermals, even in an ITX environment.

I have a NR200P with a 2.7 slot 3070 and it doesn't exceed 60 degrees in gaming, with no fans on the bottom of the case. I have read that some larger cards can struggle with thermals in the 2000D but I think this is more relevant to the more power hungry (and hotter) cards of the previous 3000 generation.
Thanks. Concern is getting it and then it running too hot. I notice not all ITX cases have placements for fans as intakes/exhuast so as i've never had one I don't want to get a nice compact version which is then a heat box.

Also trying to avoid any that have an AIO as I prefer the longevitiy of a heatsink.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. Concern is getting it and then it running too hot. I notice not all ITX cases have placements for fans as intakes/exhuast so as i've never had one I don't want to get a nice compact version which is then a heat box.

Also trying to avoid any that have an AIO as I prefer the longevitiy of a heatsink.

I think the NR200 is one of the best ITX cases there's been in a long time and generally speaking, it's a great entry point into the ITX world. It's relatively cheap, well-built and allows a good selection of hardware inside it, which lends itself to better cooling performance. It's 18L volume is considerably bigger than the likes of the 11L Dan A4 H20 but trade-offs are the nature of the beast in ITX builds. As an example, the Dan A4 H20, whilst smaller, uses a PCIe riser cable which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I prefer air cooling as well and currently have an NH-U12A in my NR200P. But I've also had a NH-D12L and NH-C14S in previous builds too. And all have performed very well.

What CPU were you intending to use with your build? The 4070 wouldn't be of concern but if you're putting in a power hungry CPU, then the capacity for a beefier heatsink might take priority in which case you go for. I personally try to stick to 65W variants of the CPU (i5-13500, currently) but I don't overclock and don't need bleeding edge performance for anything.

Soldato
OP
I think the NR200 is one of the best ITX cases there's been in a long time and generally speaking, it's a great entry point into the ITX world. It's relatively cheap, well-built and allows a good selection of hardware inside it, which lends itself to better cooling performance. It's 18L volume is considerably bigger than the likes of the 11L Dan A4 H20 but trade-offs are the nature of the beast in ITX builds. As an example, the Dan A4 H20, whilst smaller, uses a PCIe riser cable which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

I prefer air cooling as well and currently have an NH-U12A in my NR200P. But I've also had a NH-D12L and NH-C14S in previous builds too. And all have performed very well.

What CPU were you intending to use with your build? The 4070 wouldn't be of concern but if you're putting in a power hungry CPU, then the capacity for a beefier heatsink might take priority in which case you go for. I personally try to stick to 65W variants of the CPU (i5-13500, currently) but I don't overclock and don't need bleeding edge performance for anything.

Issue is, you can't even get an NR200 now. They're out of stock/discontinued? Dan A4 cases I can't find. Its like there isn't all that much stock for mini itx cases.

Good to know the nh-u12a is pretty good... cpu would likely be a 65w amd.

Associate
Yea nr200 is a great case. One thing I found when I had my gpu air cooled and in the classic orientation ( not vertically mounted ) inside it was that is was better at cooling when i had the glass panel on rather than the vented panel. I have 2 slim fans on the bottom so with the vented side panel the air would just escape as soon as it hit the gpu. With the glass panel it would cool everything inside the case before leaving at the top.

Soldato
OP
Yea nr200 is a great case. One thing I found when I had my gpu air cooled and in the classic orientation ( not vertically mounted ) inside it was that is was better at cooling when i had the glass panel on rather than the vented panel. I have 2 slim fans on the bottom so with the vented side panel the air would just escape as soon as it hit the gpu. With the glass panel it would cool everything inside the case before leaving at the top.
good to know. nr200 v2 is vertically mounted gpu no? Also not a fan of the 'max' with the AIO included... wanted an air cooler.

Associate
Yea I think it is vertical gpu orientation. I'm looking at the fractal terra for my next case but just don't like the wooden panel they all come with...

Back
Top Bottom