Best Retro Handheld

Soldato
After watching the Retro Games Corp video I think I am more inclined to get one of those real GBA SP.

Question, what compatibility are there with them? I forgot which order they came out in.

Which is the latest one that plays 'everything' ?

I got my DS Lite out on the weekend and notice it doesn't take GBC cartridge ? Which handheld takes both GBC and GBA games?

The DS Lite does take GBA cartridges on the console's bottom side. DSi does not take GBA cartridges but DSi does do something else (I think there are a few DSi only DS games). So maybe you have a DSi

Soldato
what is recommended these days for a 4:3 handheld with PS1, maybe DC, power? Also easy to use without needing to change the OS etc.

Also available in the UK not waiting for it to ship from abroad
Probably the Retroid pocket 2S - Ive not gone with it because its limited to Android.
I dont want my handheld to feel like a phone thanks - Its all about custom firmware to use great things like Portmaster and all the different CFW out there, instead of being limited to Android store

Caporegime
Probably the Retroid pocket 2S - Ive not gone with it because its limited to Android.
I dont want my handheld to feel like a phone thanks - Its all about custom firmware to use great things like Portmaster and all the different CFW out there, instead of being limited to Android store
Can you explain what postmaster does in idiot terms?

I see it on a few cfw and mentioned in Reddit posts, but not looked into it.

rp2000

Soldato
Can you explain what postmaster does in idiot terms?

I see it on a few cfw and mentioned in Reddit posts, but not looked into it.

rp2000
Allows you to run a manager with many games that have been ported - https://portmaster.games/

These are full ports of games to Linux for handhelds or otherwise, not emulation. You just provide the required game files. E.g. GTA III, Vice City, Doom 3, Quake 3, RTCW. My personal favourite is Need for speed 2 SE playing on the RG35XX H. RTCW also works really well.

In terms of running it, you connect to wifi, launch the portmaster app, select the game you want and select install. Then copy required files and launch. Some ports do not require files, games people have usually made that include all the assets and are 'ready to run'

Last edited:
Caporegime
Allows you to run a manager with many games that have been ported - https://portmaster.games/

These are full ports of games to Linux for handhelds or otherwise, not emulation. You just provide the required game files. E.g. GTA III, Vice City, Doom 3, Quake 3, RTCW. My personal favourite is Need for speed 2 SE playing on the RG35XX H. RTCW also works really well.

In terms of running it, you connect to wifi, launch the portmaster app, select the game you want and select install. Then copy required files and launch. Some ports do not require files, games people have usually made that include all the assets and are 'ready to run'
Thank you.

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate
I received yesterday a Miyoo Mini Plus after a friend bought one recently. Absolutely marvellous little thing and really enjoying it (playing primarily PS, SNES and GBA stuff).

A real nostalgia trip and works really well on the smaller screen.

Man of Honour
After watching the Retro Games Corp video I think I am more inclined to get one of those real GBA SP.

Question, what compatibility are there with them? I forgot which order they came out in.

Which is the latest one that plays 'everything' ?

I got my DS Lite out on the weekend and notice it doesn't take GBC cartridge ? Which handheld takes both GBC and GBA games?

Gameboy Advance itself was the last one which took Gameboy/Gameboy Colour Carts

Soldato
I received yesterday a Miyoo Mini Plus after a friend bought one recently. Absolutely marvellous little thing and really enjoying it (playing primarily PS, SNES and GBA stuff).

A real nostalgia trip and works really well on the smaller screen.
It's a great device, I recommend swapping the included sd card for a named brand one as the cheap ones they include are prone to failure.

Associate
It's a great device, I recommend swapping the included sd card for a named brand one as the cheap ones they include are prone to failure.
Yep, after reading this thread and watching the retro games corp youtube videos, i've swapped the card for a decent Samsung one (and backed it up) and installed OnionOS.

I've also got the "Ports" function working and played Mario 64, which runs "OK".

Loving the GB emulation though especially at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom