Best way to connect/attach a watercooling plate 25*30mm to a BLHeli ESC 70a 21*42mm for most efficiency?

Soldato
If that aluminium heat spreader will not come off then I would have a go at lapping it flat to remove the raised decorative embossed bits and leave a flat surface for your cooler to interface with. You would then also be able to use a proper thermal compound like MX5, rather than thermal pads. This will significantly improve performance.

Given you obviously do not want any particles of aluminium to find their way on the pcb or under the spreader while you are lapping, you'll want to go to town wrapping the exposed pcb with electrical tape on all sides, including sliding some as far as it will go under each side of the spreader. This will still leave a gap around the spreader though where particles could still get through to the components under the spreader, so to finish off the insulation I would run a small bead of silicone sealant around all sides of the spreader to basically fill that gap. So you should end up with the exposed top of the spreader for lapping, with everything else sealed so no particles can get anywhere they shouldn't.

Once this is flat you could even then consider if you could get away with attaching another heatsink to this with thermally conductive adhesive, or more clamping, and then runs fans on it, rather than attempting to water cool. This is if the heat spreader cannot be removed, because if it can I would be looking to do that first and see if a bigger heatsink can be fitted directly, which obviously deals with the complexities of getting filtered water in to this, which I see as the main issue with the set up.

However, if that water cooling plate is just a bare channel inside, i.e. it doesn't have any tiny fins, or convoluted paths like a PC water cooling block would have, then than reduces the risk of running it with filtered pond water I would imagine. I would however design the mounting system as something you can disassemble easily so you can strip the cooler down to clean the insides after each trip. I think I would also include a flow meter in there somewhere with a light to indicate if the flow has reduced or stopped, so you know its time to bring it ashore. On a PC forum everyone here is going to be paranoid about the merest particle of algae or water scale in a water block, but that is because it is built once and left for months. As long as you can strip down to clean you only have to worry about it blocking within the scope of a single outing, as long as you can take it apart to clean.

As regards fitting the cooler I would go with the mini mg-clamp method with some padding on the underside.

edit: The more I look at that cooler in your first pic the more it looks like it will be a single block of aluminium with two straight holes drilled in line with the two ports, going some distance down the block, then probably a single hole drilled at 90° to this on the side we can't see which is then either plugged or welded. This gives a very simple single U shaped channel inside the block. It also means you won't be able to take it apart to thoroughly clean as there is nothing to come apart, so you maintenance of it will probably just be to run high pressure mains water through it, backwards and forwards. At least you won't need to take it off the pcb to do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny how out of the ordinary threads like this get you thinking. How's about this to get around the dirty pond water problem. Make the loop a more normal closed loop system with that block, a pump and a small res to facilitate filling, though you technically can do without a res if you just fill with a tee piece to keep the size down. *BUT* instead of a proper radiator you just incorporate some small bore copper tubing which you somehow attach to the bottom of the boat where it can't be seen, and where it is permanently submerged in water, which also flows past when the boat is moving. I would bet that this would provide pretty good heat transfer overall. The tricky part would be how to connect the copper tubing to the rest of the loop, whether it can actually go through the hull bottom with appropriate sealing, or can go over the side or back and be hidden with fairings or whatever. I guess you options all boil down to how condensed in size this all has to be, or the added weight. The pipe underneath would just be bare pipe, I am not talking about adding fins to it or anything as that would quickly trap all the weeds and add massive drag. The bare pipe itself will add some drag but maybe not that much on its own?

The old prise the sink off and fit a bigger heatsink with a fan idea still trumps all of this though really.

Soldato
So priming means inserting the liquid for the 1st time within the water-cooling system. Is that correct?

Do you have an image of the aluminium C profile you are considering? I haven't seen one yet.
You are correct that I also need to take care of the PCB. Using a part inside the boat is a good idea.

I am considering another solution to hold the water-cooling block / thermal pad / PCB well together: is there some thermal conductive single-sided adhesive tape? I could use it to keep this together. The force would be better spread around all parts than a cable tie and resist boat vibrations.
Yes by priming
I mean having enough coolant in the loop
So the pump impeller doesn't spin
Without any liquid in it

We are kind of guessing solutions here
Since we don't have experience
With the boat side of things
Not necessarily a bad thing since we may suggest
A brilliant idea lol

But some pictures of the boat
Including what size of space you have to fit
The cooling solution might be useful

Was there a reason you decided on watercooling?
Since simplest solution would be a passive heatsink
Followed by a heatsink with a fan
Watercooling adds complexity
And uses power for pump
Again no idea what sort of battery is involved
So no idea if you have power to spare
Though passive heatsink, heatsink with fan
May not work if its in a totally enclosed space
With no vents

Soldato
On the priming front, in an open loop system, which your sucking it out of the pond and dump back into the pond would be, it means the pump either has to be manually primed before each run, or it has to be a self priming pump. The "priming" bit means for a pump to start to throw water out of the outlet side, it has to have an unbroken volume of water from the water inlet level. i.e. pond level, up the inlet pipe and into the surrounding of the impeller in the pump. So that when the pump starts it can immediately throw the water around the impellor out of the outlet, and since water is incompressible, it will suck the water up the inlet and keep going. If you try to start a pump without priming it, i.e. with air on the inlet side, it will just spin and circulate air, it would not create a suction on the inlet to pull up the water by itself as no vacuum is created. Priming is is not relevant if the pump is itself submerged in the water source however.

In a self priming pump the design of the pump is such that the vacuum to draw water up the inlet is created by recirculating water already in the pump from when it last stopped. These types of pumps however have to be pretty large. I am not aware of any hobby sized pumps which are self priming.

For a normal pump you have to fill as much if that void on the inlet side and the pump impellor body with water manually, or by creating a manual vacuum to draw water up the inlet side before you start it, so once the pumps starts it is the same situation as the self priming pump. I think this would also mean in your case with the open system that if the pump ever stopped you would have to manually prime it again each time.

If you could mount the pump to the rudder or somewhere where it is submerged, and run pipes from there, then it wont need priming. But since this whole thing feels like it is going to need filtration somewhere it is getting more and more complex as you think about it, when you don't want to pump to get blocked with weeds either.

So yeah, back to square one with warming up the spreader with a heat gun to see if it pops off, or putting in the freezer and seeing if it pops off.

Back
Top Bottom