BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Compared to Virgin, very stable. I use my own router though - with 2.5gb WAN and LAN.

I have 3 boys who stream and game, missis who on Netflix and it handles it without any issues.

I get 6ms ping to bbc from Derbyshire.
Stupid question... How do I set this up with Sky gigafast on IPv6? I've set it up with IPv4 but I keep getting 'not a valid IP address' when I try IPv6. Thanks

Soldato
ill be honest and not set up IPV6 yet mate.
Ok no worries, thanks mate. I've just moved from BT to Sky and generally the connection doesn't seem to be behaving as well (plus the speed tests are a bit slower). Will see how it beds in after a couple of weeks and check on the IPv4 BQM that I've set up :)

Man of Honour
Ok no worries, thanks mate. I've just moved from BT to Sky and generally the connection doesn't seem to be behaving as well (plus the speed tests are a bit slower). Will see how it beds in after a couple of weeks and check on the IPv4 BQM that I've set up :)
If you are on FTTP there is no bedding in period.

Man of Honour
I was worried about that. BT was solid 920mbit on speed tests whereas Sky is often less than 800mbit.
If it's over cabled then that's definitely a Sky issue. There were reports of them having capacity issues which is why they didn't offer 900 Mbps for some time.

Soldato
If it's over cabled then that's definitely a Sky issue. There were reports of them having capacity issues which is why they didn't offer 900 Mbps for some time.
Yep, it’s cabled to my PC. Unfortunately the guaranteed minimum speed is 600mbit, so I’ll probably have to put up with it.

Man of Honour
FTTP query.. my father is moving house and has FTTP available. I signed him up for Vodafone as he has a SIM with them already making it pretty cheap and gather they are fine as an ISP. Anyway, in the new property under the stairs I can see the OR ONT, another small box connected to that and a BT wireless router. When we ordered Vodafone I assumed they'd just send out their router and I just swap out the BT one accordingly, but they've arranged for an lengthy engineer visit. Is that normal? I'm guessing they didn't know its not already connected up as they are planning to be there a while drilling holes. The router arrives tomorrow, shall I just connect it up and see if it works? I didn't want them to waste a visit.

I know Virgin Media/FTTC/ADSL2 (...56k) stuff like the back of my hand, but first time being near FTTP hence not being sure and a bit curious of the process :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyway, in the new property under the stairs I can see the OR ONT, another small box connected to that and a BT wireless router. When we ordered Vodafone I assumed they'd just send out their router and I just swap out the BT one accordingly, but they've arranged for an lengthy engineer visit. Is that normal?

Yep, it's normal.

Caporegime
Have Vodafone confirmed that they are going to use the Openreach network? If CityFibre is available to that property and you place an order with Vodafone then it will use CityFibre by default.

Man of Honour
Have Vodafone confirmed that they are going to use the Openreach network? If CityFibre is available to that property and you place an order with Vodafone then it will use CityFibre by default.
Just checked and CF don't cover that area, so will be OR. The Vodafone router arrived but it doesn't take the fibre in direct which the BT router there does currently, so guessing they need to send someone out to fiddle with the ONT? I assumed the ONT didn't need to change between OR based ISP changes.

The OR ONT, BBU and Huawei router shown below is whats there atm.

Associate
Just checked and CF don't cover that area, so will be OR. The Vodafone router arrived but it doesn't take the fibre in direct which the BT router there does currently, so guessing they need to send someone out to fiddle with the ONT? I assumed the ONT didn't need to change between OR based ISP changes.

The OR ONT, BBU and Huawei router shown below is whats there atm.

Is there a WAN port on the VF router? (sorry, I’m not familiar with VF routers)

Edit: On the router pictured here it is the red port (marked Internet) https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/media/vod_router_dongle_back/

(haven’t got a picture of the newer one, but should be similar)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is there a WAN port on the VF router? (sorry, I’m not familiar with VF routers)

Edit: On the router pictured here it is the red port (marked Internet) https://www.vodafone.co.uk/newscentre/media/vod_router_dongle_back/

(haven’t got a picture of the newer one, but should be similar)
I think I know why I'm a bit confused as I thought the OR/Huawei modem was a BT wireless router and that would swap out with the one VF supplied, but its a modem only isn't it so just need to hook up the VF router to it by the sounds of it?

Last edited:
Associate
I think I know why I'm a bit confused as I thought the OR/Huawei modem was a BT wireless router and that would swap out with the one VF supplied, but its a modem only isn't it so just need to hook up the VF router to it by the sounds of it?
No worries - that is correct, you just connect the (should be Red) Ethernet cable that is currently connected to the BT SmartHub to the VF one.

Man of Honour
No worries - that is correct, you just connect the (should be Red) Ethernet cable that is currently connected to the BT SmartHub to the VF one.
Yep thanks, there isn't a BT hub there at all which is why I thought the OR modem was it. Also the fact the fibre cable was disconnected from that :) Easy when you've seen it once before now :D

Caporegime
I can finally get FTTP but I’m not sure whether to get it now or wait until next year when my house will be renovated and either be re-rendered or have cladding installed.

The fibre will come in by pole at the front of my house and I want it installed in the office at the back of the house downstairs.

Can the fibre cables be hidden easily/rendered over?

Back
Top Bottom