Building a lean to greenhouse

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure which slat spacing to use. Any opinions?

Both shelves are 1.2m wide X 0.6m deep.

The right one has half spacing the left one has a whole slat spacing.

PXL-20240511-103811036.jpg

Soldato
OP
18mm timber?

38x22 roof battens I used. Cheapest method from the timber merchant.

It's all finished.

PXL-20240511-151241574.jpg

PXL-20240511-151212346.jpg

I'd rate it 7 out of 10.

Things I'd do differently if I did it again would be:

* to half lap the various frame and door joints
* use a template for the main frame screwing as i didn't line them up well by eye
* rethink the lid design as it's not great
* Thicker polycarbonate panels would have been better as they flex a bit (4mm is quite thin).
* I'd also buy and use a mitre saw as I did it all by hand cuts and ever so slightly the frame is 2mm wider at the bottom than the top leaving a slightly larger gap in the doors at the bottom.
* Use pre treated timber but this would have doubled the cost.

Total costs roughly as follows:
* 63x38mm CLS for the frame - 16x 2.4m lengths @£3.50 = £56 (Wickes)
* 38x22 roof battens for the shelving - 8x 4.8m lengths @5 each = £40 (timber yard)
* 120x6mm screws for frame, pack of 50 was around £10 (Screwfix)
* Flush hinges x 12 for doors and lid around £10 (Screwfix)
* 4mm polycarbonate panels 1200x600 pack of 14 (used 7) - £60 (used £30) (eBay)
* 4x door Bolts and 2x casement stays for lid, Toolstation around £15 total.
* Router and bits £70 although can't really include this.
* Green wood preservative already had this.

So total around £190.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks brilliant. Well done man

It is always surprising when you add up material costs. It puts into perspective the folks on Etsy charging 300+ for similar things.

Soldato
OP
It is always surprising when you add up material costs. It puts into perspective the folks on Etsy charging 300+ for similar things.

In the sense that's it's cost more or less than you thought? This has cost more than I intended. But a commercially bought one wouldn't have been this size and would have been made from much thinner wood as well.

I think having the ability to rip down 2x4s into thinner wood would be where big economies can be made.

Soldato
In the sense that's it's cost more or less than you thought? This has cost more than I intended. But a commercially bought one wouldn't have been this size and would have been made from much thinner wood as well.

I think having the ability to rip down 2x4s into thinner wood would be where big economies can be made.
More - material is cheap (CLS is like 3.8 a length again?) but you need so much. So it adds up quicker than you imagine.

Soldato
OP
More - material is cheap (CLS is like 3.8 a length again?) but you need so much. So it adds up quicker than you imagine.

Yeah the amount I needed has surprised me, but I wouldn't say wood is cheap. It's pretty crap timber from the likes of Wickes, easily splits.

For a couple hundred quid of materials I'd be expecting to make it from hardwood tbh. No chance here, but could if in the US.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom