Cheapish portable-ish mechanical keyboard

Soldato
As I now have a work laptop rather than desktop, I would like a mechanical keyboard to use with hit, as I don't like typing on laptop keyboards if I can help it.

I work from home more often than I am in the office and in my home office I have a USB switch to use my existing mechanical keyboard (red switches for gaming comfort) with my laptop, but my home keyboard is full-sized and not easily portable in a laptop bag.

Criteria are:
Preferably easily portable (so robust enough to stand up to being taken around in my laptop backpack, and small and light enough too - 60% is probably best option)
Blue or brown switches since it will be for productivity only. Other switches are fine, but would like some with a bit of tactile feedback and a touch more resistance than my reds (which do lead to a few errors with gentle touches of neighbouring keys)
Wireless is probably better, but not wedded to that
No flashy RGB that can't be turned off. And nothing that makes it looks like a gaming keyboard
Ideally not expensive, since I will be slinging it in and out of my bag when going to the office or on work trips, etc. Would be great if it could come in under £60-75 or so

The only one that looks close on the OcUK site is the Ducky One 3, which I'm sure is great, but it's a bit more expensive that I would like and not wireless, I don't think. Do I just have to face up to paying more than I'd like, or are there any more budget-friendly options I might not have seen? Googling this brings up a whole host of dodgy-looking brands I've never heard off too...

Associate
Royal Klundge at that price point is about your best bet. The RK61 is £40 and a 60 size board.

I have a Keychron k2 thats wireless and I light enough to carry round in a backpack - but slightly above your budget.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Royal Klundge at that price point is about your best bet. The RK61 is £40 and a 60 size board.

I have a Keychron k2 thats wireless and I light enough to carry round in a backpack - but slightly above your budget.

Wow, that looks perfect! I'd never heard of that brand, but it does look ideal. Great price too! Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Mechanical keyboard brands to consider:

Das Keyboard
Ducky
Keychron
MageGee
I have Das on my shortlist for my next fullsized home keyboard. Keychron look nice, but a bit pricier.

The MageGee, though, is the same price and specs as the Royla Kludge RK61. It looks like blue switches are the only alternative to red, though, whereas the RK has brown. Not sure which I would prefer over blue or brown, tbh. Might have to test them out and choose based on that.

Cheers. :)

Soldato
Logitech G915 tkl is £99 right now if you'd be able to stretch. Never had any issues and they have a great warranty (2 years and they will replace the keyboard no questions asked if you have issues and you don't sent the original back)

Back
Top Bottom