E-Bike or HT?

Soldato
Good morning,

I am looking at getting myself back in the saddle, I have £2000 to spend with Cycle2Work from Halfords, I understand these can be used in other places sometimes.

I am torn between an eBike and a standard HT, I mainly commute to work but I do like a bit of cycle routes and the odd bit of off-road stuff,

Two I've see are:

Specialized Turbo Tero 3.0 2023

Merida Big Trail 700 2024

I'm a big guy, ~20 Stones I've had both types of bikes In the past but obviously want to get back in shape too, What would you guys recommend? I'm absolutely torn

Thanks in advance!

Mick.

Soldato
Good morning,

I am looking at getting myself back in the saddle, I have £2000 to spend with Cycle2Work from Halfords, I understand these can be used in other places sometimes.

I am torn between an eBike and a standard HT, I mainly commute to work but I do like a bit of cycle routes and the odd bit of off-road stuff,

Two I've see are:

I'm a big guy, ~20 Stones I've had both types of bikes In the past but obviously want to get back in shape too, What would you guys recommend? I'm absolutely torn

Thanks in advance!

Mick.
Pros and cons for both.
E-bike, easier higher ongoing costs.
HT, harder less ongoing costs, get you fitter faster.

Caporegime
I'm not convinced E-bikes have higher ongoing costs, unless you mean a motor dying outside of warranty.

2k is barely entry level for a decent Ebike mind.

You could probably half your budget and still get a good analogue hard tail, maybe think about an ebike later on down the road when prices become more affordable to the masses.

A lot of Ebikes tend to go on the second hand market if the owner gets a replacement motor under warranty btw, and then that owner gets to buy a nice shiny new bike.
so don't be totally put off by second hand ebikes of a reputable brand with a nice fresh motor.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not convinced E-bikes have higher ongoing costs, unless you mean a motor dying outside of warranty
Charging them.
They're harder on chains, cassettes and chain rings and require more replacements.
You have a battery and motor to look after, batteries are rated at about 3 to 5 years, and that's best case not fully charging it everyday.
Plus yes if something breaks it's pretty much a shop visit Vs doing it yourself and it'll cost more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Battery charging is something like 0.6p a mile (750wh battery with Bosch CX on a 27kg enduro bike + me 110kg I did 50-60miles touring/gravel style rides last summer, and never came home with less than 10% battery)

They mostly come with tougher cassettes and chains etc these days. just don't ride like an elephant on the smallest cog then a decent chain lasts ages.

Batteries can last way beyond 5 years, there's people on the Bosch mtb facebook group with 10 year old bikes.
If an electric bike has problems its usually at the very start with wiring harness issues or around 1000miles mark due to water damage.

anything else is just minor maintenance you would do at home anyway.

On my bike the only thing I've done in 1060 miles is change the chain at 350miles, I bought a better one that should last 1000-2000 miles.

The cost is in the initial outlay and depreciation ebikes lose value fast, I bet mine lost at least 30% of its value in the year I've had it, and the bikes you can buy now for the same money are basically the exact same spec

If I need a new motor outside of warranty then its probably about 800 and a new battery about 700-800 (Bosch)

I've had new tyres, brake pads and a new rear cassette sat in a draw for about 6 months, probably won't need them for another 6 months

Last edited:
Soldato
Battery charging is something like 0.6p a mile (750wh battery with Bosch CX on a 27kg enduro bike + me 110kg I did 50-60miles touring/gravel style rides last summer, and never came home with less than 10% battery)

They mostly come with tougher cassettes and chains etc these days. just don't ride like an elephant on the smallest cog then a decent chain lasts ages.

Batteries can last way beyond 5 years, there's people on the Bosch mtb facebook group with 10 year old bikes.
If an electric bike has problems its usually at the very start with wiring harness issues or around 1000miles mark due to water damage.

anything else is just minor maintenance you would do at home anyway.

On my bike the only thing I've done in 1060 miles is change the chain at 350miles, I bought a better one that should last 1000-2000 miles.

The cost is in the initial outlay and depreciation ebikes lose value fast, I bet mine lost at least 30% of its value in the year I've had it, and the bikes you can buy now for the same money are basically the exact same spec

If I need a new motor outside of warranty then its probably about 800 and a new battery about 700-800 (Bosch)

I've had new tyres, brake pads and a new rear cassette sat in a draw for about 6 months, probably won't need them for another 6 months
Water damage on a mountain bike, is that a joke. Or is it made by Toys R Us and rusts.
Chain at 350miles, that can't be right, was it faulty? I get at least 1500 miles from a chain to 0.75.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Water damage on a mountain bike, is that a joke. Or is it made by Toys R Us and rusts.
Chain at 350miles, that can't be right, was it faulty? I get at least 1500 miles from a chain to 0.75.
None of them are fully sealed units.
Like Bosch is 2 rubber seals behind a C-clip, behind them is some Bosch Tacky Grease.
thats the only thing stopping water, you can buy new seals and new grease though to service that yourself.

if you hit it with a hose pipe directly, or a pressure washer you can obviously wash out some of the grease and get water into the motor.
car bike racks in the rain are bad too if the motors not wrapped in a plastic bag or something.

The chain was Sram GX they are known to only last 400 miles on EMTB . I upgraded to an XX1 or x01.

as l ong as the circuit boards not damaged most motors can have their bearings etc replaced, but its a few hundred quid for a 3rd party motor overhaul

I've had 0 issues with my bike but Ebikes most people should hold off buying one until they are more value for money

Last edited:
Soldato
Good morning,

Two I've see are:

Thanks in advance!

Mick.

Outside of Halfjords £2000 should get you a reasonable full suspension bike, that'll allow you to fine tune the suspension to suit weight + riding and if weight is lost, then adjusting the suspension will be very easy.
The Haljords bikes used to have a really bad resale price and am unsure if that is still the case (Boardman for example) because of the ride2work schemes and the market being flooded. If keeping then a full suspension Boardman might be a decent option, if the vouchers cannot be used elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of it is dependent on the individual, but my focus is more recreation with a slight bit of commuting. I live in a hilly area, and want to get as much enjoyment and motivation out of cycling and reduce the things that make me not want to head out, so i'm in the process of building my own ebike.

The idea being that given I live in a rural area, I can go further and faster on an ebike, deal with the hills and enjoy the ride without busting my lungs. So addressing the issues with not wanting to head out is as important as the things that make me want to head out if that makes sense.

Soldato
OP
I went with a Merida Big Trail 600 in the end, Very happy with the decision, Full suspension just wasn't worth it in the end, I'm not going to be flying around bike parks etc, I do however use the local cycle routes which are quite forgiving, Thanks for all the input!

Caporegime
Full suspension just wasn't worth it in the end, I'm not going to be flying around bike parks etc,

Only thing good about full suspension in an urban environment if you can ride down steps/stairs.

With an EMTB you can ride up them.

I don't do it on my bike though, seems like a hell of a lot of vibration going into the bike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom