Editing existing .STL and new designs

Soldato
Which software should I be looking at for designing some prints, that will also allow me to import an existing model in .STL format?
The only design software I've ever used is SketchUp, so open to any suggestions.

Soldato
If you BUY Fusion 360, then use the import mesh, and use prismatic mode to get an almost perfect replica of the STL back into a model for Fusion to use. If not, then you are stuck importing the mesh and deleting surfaces.

I haven't yet found a free tool to do it nicely and often had to basically redo designs from other people just so I can make them editable.

Last edited:
Soldato
i was using blender till now but have recently got shapr3d as my kids use it in school and were complaining about blender a lot and is so much easier to use that my youngest has started taking 3d printing as well now.

Soldato
If you BUY Fusion 360, then use the import mesh, and use prismatic mode to get an almost perfect replica of the STL back into a model for Fusion to use. If not, then you are stuck importing the mesh and deleting surfaces.

I haven't yet found a free tool to do it nicely and often had to basically redo designs from other people just so I can make them editable.
You can do that in th free version too. I use it all the time.

As far as I can see, you're just limited to 10 editable files when using the free version. Otherwise the software is fully functional.

Import the mesh. Reduce complexity if the shape is overly detailed. Then convert the mesh to a solid.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can do that in th free version too. I use it all the time.

As far as I can see, you're just limited to 10 editable files when using the free version. Otherwise the software is fully functional.

Import the mesh. Reduce complexity if the shape is overly detailed. Then convert the mesh to a solid.

With the free version or a hobby license you CANNOT import an STL and use prismatic mode to import it, where it automatically resolves surfaces. You are stuck having to manually delete or recreate sections to get it to work. This is in no way connected to the ten editable files.

The software is NOT fully functional in free/hobby mode and you should take a closer look as there are a whole raft of functions not available.

Back
Top Bottom