Expected Temperatures of a Watercooled 4090FE?

Associate
I may liquid metal my gpu aswell. Mine is lower class though - 6700xt. I've had pretty bad hotspot temps since I installed my blockbuster nothing stupid. 30C more than core temp but never higher than the 80Cs so haven't bothered. Just need to make some room to sort it out.

EDIT - if it goes wrong that's my upgrade excuse :)

The only time it will go wrong is if you spray the stuff all over the pcb. Liquid metal can be unusually resistive to coming out of the syringe, that's the danger moment (that and over application) so try applying to a bit of cardboard first to get an idea of how quickly it comes out.

pre

pre

Associate
Damn I love this thread. Nostalgic old school troubleshooting with some awesome thermal pics and a happy conclusion.

I mentioned this in a thread a while back but ptm7950 is the future when almost hardly any of us are pushing for that extra 0.1% performance of LM 24/7 today - especially on something like a GPU.

Soldato
OP
Damn I love this thread. Nostalgic old school troubleshooting with some awesome thermal pics and a happy conclusion.

I mentioned this in a thread a while back but ptm7950 is the future when almost hardly any of us are pushing for that extra 0.1% performance of LM 24/7 today - especially on something like a GPU.

:) It helps us all learn, no point in keeping the knowledge to ourselves!

Oddly it was the first time I had heard of PTM7950. I have some on order now should the temperatures go bad again - it took about a month to occur so I'll be watching closely. That's why the sensor panel/screen at the front of the PC is so good, without it I could have been blissfully unaware.

Since this is the watercooling subforum I thought I share a little clip that I added to my build log of the coolant being filled and bled - it gives a good indication as to the flow rate of the D5 pump attached to the D5 Next and Utilitube.

z48KJ9B.gif

There was a lot of air to get out the system!

Soldato
This thread made me want to check my 4090. Was surprised since core/ hotspot delta was only 13c.

First time this has happened to this extent with Kryonaught. Guessing the 1000w bios didn’t help things.

IMG-4923.jpg
IMG-4922.jpg

Soldato
OP
This thread made me want to check my 4090. Was surprised since core/ hotspot delta was only 13c.

First time this has happened to this extent with Kryonaught. Guessing the 1000w bios didn’t help things.

1000W bios?! You're brave!

Your images are very similar to mine, that distinctive "gecko feet" pattern that the thermal paste makes as it's pumped out I presume.

Did you use PTM7950 on your reassembly?

Soldato
:) It helps us all learn, no point in keeping the knowledge to ourselves!

Oddly it was the first time I had heard of PTM7950. I have some on order now should the temperatures go bad again - it took about a month to occur so I'll be watching closely. That's why the sensor panel/screen at the front of the PC is so good, without it I could have been blissfully unaware.

Since this is the watercooling subforum I thought I share a little clip that I added to my build log of the coolant being filled and bled - it gives a good indication as to the flow rate of the D5 pump attached to the D5 Next and Utilitube.

z48KJ9B.gif

There was a lot of air to get out the system!
That certainly is a lot of air
At the beginning of the video clip
It looks like the coolant has separated /settled?
Darker blue at the bottom of the res than the top?

Soldato
OP
That certainly is a lot of air
At the beginning of the video clip
It looks like the coolant has separated /settled?
Darker blue at the bottom of the res than the top?

I was hoping someone would ask about the weird layered coolant in the reservoir :D.

The stuff at the bottom of the reservoir was a fresh application of Halfords finest engine coolant/antifreeze (glycol) with de-ionised water sitting / suspended on top of it, it just hadn't mixed yet. It's jiggling around at this point due to the vibration of the pump.

Once the air that was present in the computer eventually made it's way to the pump/reservoir it allowed the coolant to replace it; you can see the level in the reservoir go down quite quickly.

Now that the coolant and de-ionised water are thoroughly mixed there's no strange suspended water effect in the reservoir anymore, which is a shame :D.

Soldato
1000W bios?! You're brave!

Your images are very similar to mine, that distinctive "gecko feet" pattern that the thermal paste makes as it's pumped out I presume.

Did you use PTM7950 on your reassembly?
Unless it’s furmark highest it’s ever gone was 680W but I usually limit frames anyway. Mora3 rad keeps it cool.

Kryonaut extreme temporarily. Have PTM ready when my new case arrives.

Thing is PTM has worse temps.

I remember repasting the 3090FE which used some sort of PTM pad. Was about 5c better with Kryonaut.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was hoping someone would ask about the weird layered coolant in the reservoir :D.

The stuff at the bottom of the reservoir was a fresh application of Halfords finest engine coolant/antifreeze (glycol) with de-ionised water sitting / suspended on top of it, it just hadn't mixed yet. It's jiggling around at this point due to the vibration of the pump.

Once the air that was present in the computer eventually made it's way to the pump/reservoir it allowed the coolant to replace it; you can see the level in the reservoir go down quite quickly.

Now that the coolant and de-ionised water are thoroughly mixed there's no strange suspended water effect in the reservoir anymore, which is a shame :D.
Could add alcohol
And have 3 layers lol

What ratio of glycol to water are you using?

Soldato
OP
Could add alcohol
And have 3 layers lol

What ratio of glycol to water are you using?

Would some oil make 4 dimensional?!

I'm not sure of the precise ratio of glycol to water I'm using, probably something in the 1:4 (20% glycol) range - enough for the water to turn a light blue :D.

That ratio has been fine for me in the past, even with the reservoir sat in sunlight for part of the day.

Back
Top Bottom