Food hygiene ratings

Soldato
Soldato
OP
@Rai200 - there seems to be a lot of variation on timeliness. A local restaurant that prompted this post (I’ve used a few times!) got 2 star in March 2024, after previous low ratings too. Another place I checked about 10 miles away has a last rating from 2022.

Soldato
A few round my way have got a zero rating recently, yet they are allowed to remain open, how!
Closing would be either voluntary or via a court order. So, if the owner refuses to close due to the council's inspection teams findings - and a court refuses to enforce the closured based on the evidence of the inspectors.

Most places that get a low rating will get a follow up inspection a few days / /weeks afterwards to check the suggested improvements have been made. So a McDonalds getting a 0 rating for whatever reason is unlikely to be a long term thing.

Soldato
My area seems to be getting a lot of inspections lately as my local paper keeps mentioning the low score ones.

A very popular cafe near me got a 1 rating, never been in there but it’s always busy, that score is going to hit them hard.
Honestly how hard is it to keep good hygiene standards!

Soldato
My area seems to be getting a lot of inspections lately as my local paper keeps mentioning the low score ones.

A very popular cafe near me got a 1 rating, never been in there but it’s always busy, that score is going to hit them hard.
There is a big push to get inspections up to date, especially in the South East.

A lot was put off due to Covid and the chaos around border controls introduced in Brexit.

Caporegime
5 star rating is so easy to achieve, if a place doesn't have that then it's not worth my time

5 stars is basically "standard"
anything else needs to do better, I think there was a really petty reason some places get 4 stars though.

Last edited:
Associate

Similar. The local paper highlights lots of low scores in the past few months. I went to one and felt the food had gone downhill and wasn't quite right but was a 4 when last checked and then got a score of 1 last month.

Soldato
Similar. The local paper highlights lots of low scores in the past few months. I went to one and felt the food had gone downhill and wasn't quite right but was a 4 when last checked and then got a score of 1 last month.

To be honest I rarely bother with takeaways anymore, I have a local Chinese family run restaurant near me that’s been here since the 60s/70s that I just know is run to the highest standards, generally If I fancy a curry I just buy them kits from the supermarket.

Last edited:
Associate
Half these joints probably wouldn't eat the food they produce. I hardly get a takeaway apart from the odd fish and chips or pizza from Papa Johns or Dominoes for convenience. I tried some M&S takeaways last week and tasted better than some of the takeaway joints local to me.

Associate
I'll happily eat at anywhere that is 4 or higher, if it is a 3 i'd have to really want something they offer where no-one else does, anything below 3 just not worth it.

Soldato
I will not go below 4, although the ratings are sometimes as reliable as smack head Steve's advice and I'll use my nose and eyes in a new area, or use review sites with a pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom