games crashing when xmp is on

Associate
Hello Everyone,

I need support please. When I play games after 10/20/30min they crashing and I come back in windows desktop.
I am searching for hours and days and I don’t know what to do.

My Specs:
Asus Z790 Maximus Dark Hero BIOS Version 1102
Intel i9-14900KF
G.Skill 64GB DDR5 6400 Kit F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK
Lian Li Galahad 2 LCD AIO
Asus Strix RTX 4090 OC
Power Supply Be Quiet Dark Power 12 1500Watt
Windows 11 Home – Up to date and done a clean installation
Nvidia Drives – Up to date
General Drivers – Armoury Crate – Everything up to date

BIOS Standard – NO AI Overclocking
RAM Memory Settings:
  • XMP 1 – Asus Optimized
    • Fails in AIDA 64
    • Fails in Memtest86
    • After 10/15/20/30 min playing games crashing
  • XMP 2 – Default Factory:
    • Fails in AIDA 64
    • Fails in Memtest86
  • NO XMP
    • Pass in AIDA 64
    • Pass in Memtest86
    • Playing games, no problem
Conclussion: with NO XMP and everything is stable..
What do I wrong or what I have to do please to have a stable pc on 6400?
Are the settings like timings of the memory wrong in the bios?

I have sended a mail to Asus support a to be short: you will know their answer and i have to set i to default stock settings.
The same mail to G.Skill and have received a short quick answer please contact rma for a request.

Thank you verry much for your advice.

Greetings,

Jon

Man of Honour
You tell us.

The first thing I'd check is that the memory voltage is being set correctly.

Do you have another DDR5 PC to try the memory in? It is possible that it is not stable at the factory settings, but you could try running it slower (e.g. 6000).

Associate
OP
You tell us.

The first thing I'd check is that the memory voltage is being set correctly.

Do you have another DDR5 PC to try the memory in? It is possible that it is not stable at the factory settings, but you could try running it slower (e.g. 6000).
Hi Tetras,
Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which settings i have to change an with which value?
The strange of all is that the same memory is worked on a MSI Z690 ACE with XMP 2 on, never got a problem with my older pc that i have sell.
I have no other memory modules to test.

Man of Honour
The strange of all is that the same memory is worked on a MSI Z690 ACE with XMP 2 on, never got a problem with my older pc that i have sell.
With the same CPU, or a different CPU?

It is possible that your CPUs memory controller is just not very good, but so far as I know, 14th gen K CPUs can usually do up to 7200 without much trouble, though your memory is rather low latency.

Can you tell me which settings i have to change an with which value?
It depends on the motherboard, but you may be able to just enable XMP 2 and then manually change the DRAM frequency, while still retaining the other changes that XMP enacts.

You can usually check the memory voltage through either the BIOS itself (just have a poke about for DRAM voltage), or download software like hwinfo64. Armoury crate probably exposes this information too, but I immediately disable and uninstall this software on any Asus motherboard I get my hands on.

Associate
OP
With the same CPU, or a different CPU?

It is possible that your CPUs memory controller is just not very good, but so far as I know, 14th gen K CPUs can usually do up to 7200 without much trouble, though your memory is rather low latency.

It depends on the motherboard, but you may be able to just enable XMP 2 and then manually change the DRAM frequency, while still retaining the other changes that XMP enacts.

You can usually check the memory voltage through either the BIOS itself (just have a poke about for DRAM voltage), or download software like hwinfo64. Armoury crate probably exposes this information too, but I immediately disable and uninstall this software on any Asus motherboard I get my hands on.
Yes, with the same CPU, msi auto tuning on and xmp 2, every worked without trouble...
What you mean with cpus memory controller is just not verry good: means defective?
Ok, so i will go back to the bios, set it on xmp 2 but which dram frequency do i have to choose?
Following the G.Skill website the dram voltage must be 1.40V so i will check that and change if needed.
Are there other settings that i have to change or check?

thx dude :)

Man of Honour
Ok, so i will go back to the bios, set it on xmp 2 but which dram frequency do i have to choose?
I'd try 6000.

What you mean with cpus memory controller is just not verry good: means defective?
The stock memory speed for your CPU is 5600, anything above that is an overclock and Intel don't offer any guarantee. But, since you said it worked fine in the other motherboard, your CPU's memory controller is not the problem.

Associate
Hey Jontrd, welcome mate. I have owned both an Asus Z690 Gaming-E and a Asus Z790 Gaming-E and have had nothing but memory issues. I had to return 3 to 4 sets of memory as they failed, and had motherboard memory lane failure on the Z790. :/ Stuck the middle finger up at Asus (never again!), and have purchased a Gigabyte board. It's been fantastic. No memory issues at all. It runs stable XMP @6600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello Everyone,

I need support please. When I play games after 10/20/30min they crashing and I come back in windows desktop.
I am searching for hours and days and I don’t know what to do.

My Specs:
Asus Z790 Maximus Dark Hero BIOS Version 1102
Intel i9-14900KF
G.Skill 64GB DDR5 6400 Kit F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK
Lian Li Galahad 2 LCD AIO
Asus Strix RTX 4090 OC
Power Supply Be Quiet Dark Power 12 1500Watt
Windows 11 Home – Up to date and done a clean installation
Nvidia Drives – Up to date
General Drivers – Armoury Crate – Everything up to date

BIOS Standard – NO AI Overclocking
RAM Memory Settings:
  • XMP 1 – Asus Optimized
    • Fails in AIDA 64
    • Fails in Memtest86
  • XMP 2 – Default Factory:
    • Fails in AIDA 64
    • Fails in Memtest86
  • NO XMP
    • Pass in AIDA 64
    • Pass in Memtest86
    • Playing games, no problem
Conclussion: with NO XMP and everything is stable..
What do I wrong or what I have to do please to have a stable pc on 6400?

I have sended a mail to Asus support a to be short: you will know their answer and i have to set i to default stock settings.
The same mail to G.Skill and have received a short quick answer please contact rma for a request.

Thank you verry much for your advice.

Greetings,

Jon
Do you have the DIMMs in the correct slots ? The Asus boards recommend A2/B2 for 2 stick setups.

Also worth trying a higher LLC level.

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZtK0jXLHjI watch this its a piece of cake and you could tweak from there. In the early days of the of the Bios code i had to manually set the SA voltage. Mine was defaulting to high and it was unstable so the .95 worked for me. Since then with updates i no longer need to do this and it works correctley. vdd/vddq at 1.4 and the memcontroller to 1.3. I have the same ram but mine is tweaked a bit to run cl30 and 6600.
Do you have the xmp 2 tweaked setting? if not have you updated the bios?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom