• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good second hand upgrade from Radeon HD 7800

Associate
I have just a new monitor and the old card is probably not up to a 27" monitor.
The motherboard is a z68xp-ud3 with an i5 2500k

I was going look at members market for something around £100 - £150

Any suggestions thanks.

Associate
We had a recent thread asking for something similar, with a one or two generations down from your motherboard and CPU (more recent), and for that we found that you would be hard pressed to push an RX580 class of GPU further without investment into an upgraded CPU and motherboard. So I would say you're looking at an RX480 or earlier GPU on the AMD side, and a 1000 class GPU from Nvidia (So 1600, 1650, etc).

But as most of those cards are equipped mostly with 4GB VRAM, you may want to look for a GPU in that generational range that has 6GB or 8GB in VRAM if you are trying to game. Any more recent than that (RTX3060 or equivalent) and you're going to be hard pressed to make the most of the GPU for the price you'll pay for it, certainly not without pushing higher resolutions. You might be able to get away with up to the Nvidia 2000 range, but that'll cost more I imagine, or it's AMD equivalent.

Also, remember to look for the output ports you need for your monitor. I don't know what monitor you have, but 27" been out a while and thus it could have DVI for all we know. So make sure whatever you need, the GPU supports it.

Man of Honour
If you can stretch to it a 3060 or 3060ti - anything beyond that would be hideously bottlenecks by the CPU anyhow and even a 3060ti will be to an extent but not critically so.

EDIT: If you don't care for RTX features, then a 1070 as mentioned above is a good shout - still a fairly decent GPU for 1080p and even 1440p.

Last edited:
Associate
As mentioned you'll be CPU bottlenecked with most/all recent ish cards so think about if/when you'll upgrade any time soon.

You can spend under £100 on an A320 motherboard including RAM and a 1xxx series CPU, sell your current mobo/RAM/CPU, spend whatever you now have on the best GPU you can find (say a 1070 for £100 ish) and you'll still be way better off than you are now.
Plus you can then (depends on the motherboard) upgrade the CPU at some point down the line to 5xxx series and update your GPU whenever suits you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With an old CPU like that you're better off with AMD, you will get more out of the GPU because Nvidia drivers tend to use a lot of the CPU to run and a 2500K doesn't have a lot to give.

Try to find something like this used or turn the couch up side down and give it a good shake...

Associate
I would eco the AMD suggestion to go easy on that processor. Which would mean a 5700xt @£150.

But what I wanted to post about was my surprise at finding 3060ti's only going for 10% more on average than 3060 non-ti's :O
This is at the £200 and £220 point on the 'bay.

There must be a lot of 2nd hand buyers valuing stable diffusion/3D moddling out there. Or just want to always use ultra quality textures even at <60fps?

Soldato
My previous system back in few years ago was still a i5-2500K overlocked to 4.6GHz and it was bottlenecking even my Vega64 (around same performance as GTX1080) at 1080p in number of games with minimum frame rate dropping to around 35-40fps range (which GPU usage was nowhere near 100%).

If OP's i5-2500K is at stock clock, he really would need to look into overclocking his CPU first before upgrading from his HD 7850/7870.

Last edited:
Associate
I would eco the AMD suggestion to go easy on that processor. Which would mean a 5700xt @£150.

But what I wanted to post about was my surprise at finding 3060ti's only going for 10% more on average than 3060 non-ti's :O
This is at the £200 and £220 point on the 'bay.

There must be a lot of 2nd hand buyers valuing stable diffusion/3D moddling out there. Or just want to always use ultra quality textures even at <60fps?
I had a 2500k OC'd with a 5700XT - the CPU did throttle the GPU a lot - what I did was get a 2nd hand 3770k off ebay and that had a significant improvement in gaming, especially once I delidded and liquid metal'd the thing - which is probably going to be a must do on a old 3770k if it's not already been done.

Associate
There must be a lot of 2nd hand buyers valuing stable diffusion/3D moddling out there.
The 3060 is unfortunately the card with the best price point for entry on the cards that can run AI software that relies on NVidia CUDA. Especially so if it's the 12GB model. (Which there is no equivalent on the Ti model if I remember right)

Most of the software anyone wants to use saw the software update to take advantage of everything the 3000 series had to offer over previous gen cards. Which was leaps ahead of the 2000 and 1000 series. But then there wasn't as big a change to the 4000 series, which basically saw only the silicon being any real difference between rendering the results from AI (pure grunt brute forcing it). And given the price point change going from 3000 to 4000, the 3000 series (and especially the 3060 given it's price point and the ability to produce output in a reasonable amount of time, especially if it's the 12GB model which can handle more), the 3060 ended up as the card of choice to go for between it and the Ti.

Had the Ti also had a 12GB model, that would be ahead and the price might be higher. But if you're just dipping into the world of AI generation, then the 3060 at a lower price and potentially more VRAM is the better choice. Gamging you might want the Ti, but if you dip into AI as well, the basic one is better value. If you run out of VRAM, there's nothing you can do. But a slower GPU with enough VRAM would at least let you continue at a reasonable speed.

Back
Top Bottom