Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [13th - 15th April 2024]

Man of Honour
On the one hand I think this fight over the penalty has been blown a bit out of proportion, we've seen it happens many times over the years, nothing new here, even at Chelsea. I remember Drogba throwing a paddy because he wanted a penalty last game of the season when he was in contention for golden boot. Jog on pal, Lampard is supposed to be on pens.

On the other hand, it still staggers me how with all the modern professionalism in the game this still hasn't been addressed. It's really super, super simple. The manager choses the designated order of penalty takers, at least the first 3 to accommodate people not always being on the pitch. If for some reason none of those are on the pitch let the captain decide.
YOU DO NOT OVERRIDE THE ORDER!!!
If Palmer is #1 and is on the pitch, he takes the penalty, end of story. No ifs no buts, no

"oh so and so hasn't scored for 57 years"
"Tarquin is on a hattrick"
"Drogba needs to keep up with Henry"
"Frankie Bridge has just given birth so we're giving it to JT" etc etc.

Absolute nonsense, I don't care if Palmer has 3 goals already or 0 goals or 30 goals, he's taking the penalty.

Man of Honour
Yeah you're probably right, this is the type of **** that would drive me up the wall if I was a manager. Anyone getting into an argument over a pen (excluding the designated taker and captain) would be fined two weeks wages as far as I'm concerned as I'd have spelled out the letter of the law in preseason.

Leaving that to one side it's hardly great preparation for whomever ultimately takes the pen either, waiting around for the handbags to subside, then in the back of your mind wondering what snide comments the shunned parties will make if you miss it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom