Help Getting Gaming Headsets to Work

Associate
I need some help getting gaming headsets to work on my new PC. I've just taken delivery of this PC here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ce-rtx-4070-ti-super-gaming-pc-fs-1ea-og.html

Generally its good but I haven't been able to get gaming headsets to work properly. I've taken a couple of wired headsets (Xbox and Turtle Beach) that I've used previously with my laptop and Xbox and I've plugged them in via a spitter cable. The problem is the mic is too quiet so I went though all the troubleshooting steps on the internet and found that if I boost the microphone input by 20 or 30 dB I can get my voice to a reasonable level but with that level of gain the background noises are very intrusive and there appears to be crosstalk (I suspect electrical) causing my friends to hear themselves via my headset when they talk.

This seems to be a very common problem but it seems crazy that a gaming computer cant work with a gaming headset so I'm hoping someone here might have the answer.

Commissario
I think this is a windows issues, I'm assuming you're running windows 11?
Or rather the way Windows is handling the microphones, especially if they're USB as unfortunately I've had the same thing with a couple of headsets and my brother has a very expensive "gaming headset" that seems to have the same sort of problem (not helped by the manufacturer of his headset knowing about issues with their software and not fixing it for years).

From memory Windows 11 has something like 3 places you can adjust the volumes from and they don't all necessarily do quite the same thing (I know under windows 10 which had some of the same problems there was one panel that could fix an issue, whilst another didn't despite the option seeming to be the same), and the actual headset may have it's own software which may or may not also adjust the other system settings when you make a change.

I'll move this into the sound area because I suspect it might get more help in there.

Associate
OP
So I eventually got to the bottom of this one - looks like Sonic Studio 3 was causing the problems which all disappeared once uninstalled. Uninstalling everything was a major task though and I'd go as far as saying SS3 is malware given the extent they've gone to in stopping you removing it.

Associate
I didn't reply because I have zero experience with onboard audio as I always run an external DAC/AMP or soundcard. I did think it was cross talk from TRRS (and or increasing the mic gain too much) or EMI noise (which is common when using onboard audio). That said I have read your solution before now I think about it, that the Windows default drivers for the Realtek chips can sometimes be better. Glad to hear you solved it.

Associate
OP
I didn't reply because I have zero experience with onboard audio as I always run an external DAC/AMP or soundcard. I did think it was cross talk from TRRS (and or increasing the mic gain too much) or EMI noise (which is common when using onboard audio). That said I have read your solution before now I think about it, that the Windows default drivers for the Realtek chips can sometimes be better. Glad to hear you solved it.
Yes, the on board audio is poor and there seems to be no pre-amp for the mic which means a ton of gain needs to be added digitally. Aside from uninstalling the SS3 malware I also had to configure all the noise cancelling features available and the result is what I'd describe as ok. Ultimately I might upgrade to an external DAC or a wireless headset.

Back
Top Bottom