Help with old MAcbook Pro - how do I make it boot up?

Soldato
I am having a little bit of trouble creating a Mavericks bootable USB. I click on Mavericks.dmg and then transfer the 'Install OS X Mavericks' to the applications folder. I then open terminal and run the following command.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

But it then saids "Install OS X Mavericks.app does not appear to be a valid OS Installer application." I presume I am doing something wrong. This is using Catalina.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread a little. I have tried the above command with Catalina which works absoutly fine. Although, that's downloading Catalina from the App Store. I am not sure what I need to do with the Mavericks dmg file. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at Mist, https://github.com/ninxsoft/Mist, as you can grab 10.8.5 there. Also Archive.org is slow but handy for old OSX images, ie - Mavericks 10.9.

Thank you for suggesting Mist and Archive.org. OS X Mavericks seems quite difficult to get a hold off. It's not avaible via Mist and the image from Archive.org is corrupted. So, I have given up on Mavericks. In the end, I have settled for Mountain Lion which I downloaded from here and then used this script here to create a bootable USB drive. Thank you for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom