Bought a new machine

ROG Strix B650E-F Wifi

Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB PC5-41600C40 5200Mhz

Gainward GeForce RTX 4070 Super Ghost 12GB

Gigabyte UD1000GM PG5 1000W PSU

1Tb WD Black SN770 M.2 SSD

Windows 11

All these bits work fine. However, I have two problems. I'm trying to add SSD's and Sata HDDs from my old Windows 10 setup and I get some odd behaviour that I just cannot figure out.

I add a Samsung Evo 970 2Tb SSD using a Sata cable to the Sata port and it finds the drive. However when the machine fires up, it takes ages to get into Windows, eventually coming up with "the drive has been repaired" and now when I see it in Windows, it appears to be in a RAW format, and I'd have to format it to get it to work. I do not want to do this!

Secondly, if I power down, take the SSD off and put either of my two SATA HDDs (either a Seagate Barracuda 2TB or a Samsung HD103UJ 1 Tb) on exactly the same cables, when I fire up Windows, these drives are recognised at all! No sight of them, not in device manager, nor in the disk management.

I'm stuck because I can't see how the SSD can be recognised, but not the SATA drives, and also how the SSD which worked fine on my old Windows 10 machine now reports as unformatted! Help please

Soldato
Have you tried another SATA port and another SATA port on the motherboard? Which SATA port are you using for the 970 EVO and hard drives?

I've tried to check for the latest BIOS, but only get the message "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model." from Asus' website. :confused:

Do the drives still work on your old build?

Associate
OP
Have you tried another SATA port and another SATA port on the motherboard? Which SATA port are you using for the 970 EVO and hard drives?

I've tried to check for the latest BIOS, but only get the message "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model." from Asus' website. :confused:

Do the drives still work on your old build?
I've tried the SSD and the HDD on another port, and get exactly the same behavior. When I did the initial checks, I was using port 2 for the SSD and HDD, but I've now checked on ports 3 and 4, and get the same.

ASUS website does seem to be a bit rubbish to be honest. As in the other message, I found a version 2413 which I've now installed, but has made no difference to the behavior.

Not put them back in the old machine yet, but that is going to be my next move I think.

Associate
Smells like some of it is an MBR vs GPT issue.
Need to enable CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) in Boot section of your BIOS, that should allow using both types of partitions

less likely, but could be
Fast Boot setting in Boot section of BIOS may skip initialising new drives, disable that

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Smells like some of it is an MBR vs GPT issue.
Need to enable CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) in Boot section of your BIOS, that should allow using both types of partitions

less likely, but could be
Fast Boot setting in Boot section of BIOS may skip initialising new drives, disable that
Have tried enabling CSM... no discernable difference. Have then disabled Fast Boot and exactly the same

Associate
How many wires run in to the SATA power connector? One of the pins changed use to become a shutdown indicator when driven high (3.3v) so you might find they are incorrectly being put to sleep by the PSU directly

Associate
OP
ok, some new information. Stupidly I realised I hadn't tried to run a chkdsk against the SSD drive to see if that helped. Interestingly it recognised it as a NTFS formatted drive, but then as soon as it got to the file name linkage test I got

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 548).
An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1847).

Associate
OK, I would suggest trying a Molex to SATA power adaptor to one or both drives and seeing if that changes things (assuming you have Molex connectors on your PSU and an adaptor). The adaptor will not provide 3.3V and that's only used as a sleep command by HDD's.

Back
Top Bottom