I both love and hate headphone shopping.

Man of Honour
My trusty old HD580's have met their end. :( So time to replace. But I get to try some new toys.... :D

Went out for some testing over the weekend. Tried a few sets out and have some thoughts.

Meze 99 Classics - So comfortable. Just instantly fit right. Sound is very warm and quite enjoyable, but not the most precise things ever. Symmetrically identical headphones and left/right is assigned from the cable being plugged in. Nice touch.

Austrian Audio Hi-X65 - Comfort was ok. Headband interestingly is angled forward which take a bit to get used to. Cable will annoy me as it is a twist locking cable. Audio is almost the complete opposite of the Meze's. So analytical and detailed. But I wouldn't call them relaxing to listen too.

Focal Elegia - So pretty. Now massively reduced in price but still a bit more expensive than those above. Comfort is really nice, but getting a good seal on them was tricky. When I did, the bass was quite subdued, but still there. Mid range frequencies are very much the highlight here.

Now, the place I tried all these at also brought out another set that they have had in the stock room for a long time, signed over to them from AKG for demos but no one really wanted to demo them. So they've just sat in their stock for ages. And given the dust on the box, I'd suspect from maybe 2017. Manager said he's give me a really good price if I was interested. I suspect similar to the price of the above just to get them off the books.

AKG K872 - Ok, these are pretty serious headphones. The earpads were pretty much done. They've been in the case for years most likely, so they didn't fit well, but they did get better as they relaxed a bit, but they never came all the way back in the time I had with them. So new pads would be a must. Cable had a real solid locking mechanism for it's tiny xlr style connector. Also means you can't use balanced cables without modifications to the headphones themselves. When I had a good fit with them, the audio was just clear, there was nothing I could really point to that was out of place.

These were all though a small streaming system using Qobuz (not a service I've used before, seems ok) to stream the audio. I only used tracks that were in what they called Hi-res lossless audio. I also tried them all through my phone using flac files just outputting through the 3.5mm jack. These all sounded just fine. Would work better with a little USB-C Dac & amp naturally, but for some mobile listening around the house, I was pleasantly surprised.

Went somewhere else and got to try a pair of headphones I've always wanted to try. Stax Electrostatics. :eek: These were slightly above my potential budget...for a holiday... £5k for the headphones and about the same for the energiser that was needed for them as well. I only spent about 10 minutes with them and to say that I'm am considering trying to find a way to buy some of their older models would not be a lie. Not even vaguely sensible or portable, but damn.

At the moment the one's I would consider would be the Meze 99's and depending on the price the K872's (given they needed parts)

Got a friend coming next week with a couple of set's he's had for a while for me to try out. MassdropXSennheiser HD6XX's and some Hifiman planar magnetic headphones. Not sure which ones. I know he's got the Deva Wireless things that he uses around the house with the bluetooth module. Read up on it a bit, looks interesting.

Have looked briefly at the DT700 and 770 Pro X's, but there's nowhere locally I could try them at the weekend. I do like the replaceable cable on them.

Anyone got any other suggestions of things I could look at trying? Ideally, I don't want to get some that are too hard to drive, so not more than 80Ω as my headphone amp isn't all that powerful, but I like how it sounds. As for what I listen to, they've be used pretty much everything. In the couple of days I've listened to some classical, 1930's blues recordings, 1960's Motown, 70's Queen and various live concert performances (Gabriel, Queen, CC Smugglers, Pink Floyd). So it's varied use. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you tried stuff like the Philips Fidelio line? I'm not sure how much they differ to the Hifiman but planars worth trying.

Like the look of the Meze 99 Classics - I'm a sucker for the wood look.

Soldato
Have you tried stuff like the Philips Fidelio line? I'm not sure how much they differ to the Hifiman but planars worth trying.

The Philips Fidelio X2HR's are often on sale for as little as £60-70, at which point they punch well above their weight and into the DT990/Hifiman HE400SE etc sort of territory.

I recently sold a pair, genuinely excellent for the price but I bought them more to play with than anything, I usually run a set of LCD-2's.

Man of Honour
OP

Not looked at the Philips stuff. Completely forgot they did decent headphones. The Meze 99 classics are lovely. Comfortable, lightweight and so pretty to look at. They've even done limited runs of different woods and colours too. Silver Maple and Noir iirc. So pretty. Just wish the bass was a little more controlled and precise.

Associate
Just in case you wanted to stay Sennheiser you can get some good deals at their refurbished outlet, they come with two years warranty as well

Man of Honour
OP
After trying more headphones than I care to think about. At one point I had 15 sets here.... All from a friend who has a problem. ;) :p He managed to get a set of the DT770 Pro X's early. No idea how.

I've ordered a set of Hifiman Deva Pro Wireless. The pair I tried were ok in the comfort. Clamping force wasn't that high. Slippage can apparently be sorted with a headband swap or a mod from Customcans I believe. Easy enough. But the bluetooth/USB Dac&amp dongle was surprisingly great. Tried it as a USB dac with a TRRS cable extension so it wasn't a usb cable to the headset and it worked really well. Has enough power to drive them to almost painful levels. Over bluetooth with LDAC, yeah. I could hapily wear these around the house with no cables at all. Their sound was what I could describe as comfortable. Nothing irritated me or obviously stood out as wrong.

There were others I was considering, Meze 99, DT770 Pro x, HD58x But, in the end something about the Deva Pro's drew me in. I can't put my finger on it.

Oh, and Amazon put them on sale the day after I ordered mine direct... :rolleyes:

Now to order a customcans balanced cable. Also make my amp a balanced headphone amp. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom