iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
My mum's 6 Plus has started crapping out before the battery is low. Only upgraded her to iOS12 a couple of weeks ago, having previously left her on iOS10 and skipping 11.

We're thinking about heading over to Solihull for the day one Sunday or Monday in the next few weeks. Should we try to book in? Or if we arrive in the morning, is it usually a safe bet that we can leave the phone there and come back same day if we potter around town?

It’s always manic - if you don’t prebook then arrive for when we open (9:30 weekdays / 9:00 Saturday) as the walk-in time is like 35 mins then.

If you pre book then do it early as possible - typical repair time is shooting to 4 hours or more very rapidly - some days are so busy we can do no more repairs by 12

Soldato
When I got mine done, I just booked an appointment online, picked the time and turned up at that time. I was seen right away and picked the phone up 90 mins later.

You can book an appointment up to a week in advance. Why bother risking turning up and be told to do one.

Associate
Just had my appointment to have my battery replaced. Was there at 5:30 but didn’t hand the phone over till 6 and told it would be 3 hours. Went to dinner and back at 9, they said they were just running the last test so 5 mins. 25 mins later I asked for an update and they seemed to have forgot all about it, said it was ready and just coming out. 2 mins late they bring it out and say they couldn’t get my phone to turn on so gave me a new one. I guessed refurb but it looks pristine with not a single mark on it. Happy with the outcome but the service was a bit poor.

Soldato
When I saw the (£72) per claim I presumed the UK one was moving forward, but of course it's just a US to UK translation of the US payout for the UK audience.

Soldato
When I saw the (£72) per claim I presumed the UK one was moving forward, but of course it's just a US to UK translation of the US payout for the UK audience.

Well if it does go ahead in the UK, I do wonder if they will pay per device affected or just a single overall amount. Need to do more reading, as the Mrs is one of those people who uses an iPhone.

Soldato
Yeah, not sure how I'd prove ownership at this point too. I'm pretty sure we had a 6, 6 Plus and 7 Plus at some point, but only one we still have is the 7 Plus I think, which I keep in a lightning dock just to play music.

Soldato
These are the affected phones:

iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X models.

Looking at that I might be able to claim for an 8 Plus and X too for family members (if the lawsuit proceeds)

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I would've had just about every single one of those models, except the SE. But how does one prove it? Apple would know for sure (in the history of what devices logged into my account) but I doubt they would own up to that?

Soldato
In a couple years all phones sold in the EU will have to have removable batteries, iPhone no exception and I can't wait

Soldato
In a couple years all phones sold in the EU will have to have removable batteries, iPhone no exception and I can't wait
'removeable', I doubt that will be like the old days though where you could flick off the back and change the battery in 6 seconds.

I'm expecting you'll need a screwdriver and about 25 mins of your time to do it.

Soldato
'removeable', I doubt that will be like the old days though where you could flick off the back and change the battery in 6 seconds.

I'm expecting you'll need a screwdriver and about 25 mins of your time to do it.

They 100% will be and it’ll be for the waterproofing as well, I’d much rather have a waterproof phone to a certain level than have a battery thats a little bit more easier to swap over!

iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X models.

I had 6, 6s, 7 and then the X then got an XS.

So would I be right in saying, they’d be able to say - no you never had your phones long enough to see the performance downgrade?

Back
Top Bottom