Is RGB the same as Component?

Man of Honour
Component isn't the same as RGB, though it's similar I believe in tech terms, however SCART can not carry the same amount of data as component, hence why RGB-SCART can only do non-HD stuff, whereas component can.

Component, you do get on some TVs, though doubt you'd get it on the TV unless it's HD.

What is the TV you're looking at?

The Wii comes with composite SCART out of the box. If it's an SDTV, the best cable for the Wii will be the RGB cable.

Associate
ste_bla said:
Composite - Red Yellow White - standard tv

Scart - same as composite

Component - Red Green Blue - High Def TV

Erm, you get RGB Scart do you not?

In terms of quality, composite < s-video < scart < RGB scart < component

Component isnt just High Def TVs. My old Toshiba 32ZD26 has component connection, so in answer to original question re a "standard" TV having component, yes. Easy way to tell is looking at back. If it has 3 phono like connections, one red, one blue and one green then it has a component connection. I suppose this is similar to RGB in terms of seperating the red, green and blue signals.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
dmce said:
Erm, you get RGB Scart do you not?

In terms of quality, composite < s-video < scart < RGB scart

Component isnt just High Def TVs. My old Toshiba 32ZD26 has component connection.

It's more like:
Component > RGB > S-Video > SCART/Composite

Soldato
OP
Ok, I think I got it now. The composite cable that came with Wii, isn't the same as RGB cable?

I have 18 yrs old (Ahem) standard tv which has been great, playing Wii sports on it, no problem but for games like Zelda, I would need a finer details...I'm using composite/scart that comes with Wii.

Would graphic be improved if I buy RGB cable for it?

Also I'm not a fan of flat panel tv but I don't think there is HD in standard tv?!

Man of Honour
Pretty much all, if not every, new TV will have at least 1 RGB SCART connection. You should see a very good improvement in picture quality via RGB SCART compared to composite, especially from an 18 year old TV.

I doubt your current TV would support RGB SCART, however, I could be wrong.

Associate
I think there is some inaccuracies in this thread.

SCART is just a type of connector. SCART cables are typically used to carry composite, S-Video or RGB signals

Soldato
OP
Well, I have made a discovery! :D

I have found other SCART connector - the one with full of pins inside - unlike Wii's SCART connector which has few pins. I suspect that it has missing pins for RGB so I just swap over to 3rd party connector (Came with Arcade Legends Sensible Soccer that I bought for £25 last year!).

It made a visible difference to my 18 years old tv!! :eek: I can see a bit of improvement straightaway with Wii Sports but can not quite point what it was so I tried Zelda, it is much better, no more fuzziness!

Just get any spare SCART connector and you're sorted! Although I don't know if there is difference between RGB and composite cable but the difference seemed to be in SCART connector?! :confused:

Caporegime
barnettgs said:
Well, I have made a discovery! :D

I have found other SCART connector - the one with full of pins inside - unlike Wii's SCART connector which has few pins. I suspect that it has missing pins for RGB so I just swap over to 3rd party connector (Came with Arcade Legends Sensible Soccer that I bought for £25 last year!).

It made a visible difference to my 18 years old tv!! :eek: I can see a bit of improvement straightaway with Wii Sports but can not quite point what it was so I tried Zelda, it is much better, no more fuzziness!

Just get any spare SCART connector and you're sorted! Although I don't know if there is difference between RGB and composite cable but the difference seemed to be in SCART connector?! :confused:

By swapping the SCART adapter you may have improved the quality because it has better interconnects. It is not RGB still.

The cable you need is a proper RGB SCART cable. This differs in that it is wired internally to the scart block, rather than plugging 3 phono leads into it. These internally are wired to the extra pins that you saw on your new SCART adapter.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/wvarticles/hardware/images/200102_scart_2.gif

If you look at that diagram you can see that no matter which pins you have on your SCART connector, the 3 cables you have plugged in are using the PINS for Composite video and L/R Audi (PINS 2 6 and 20 I think).

If it was a wired RGB SCART cable the internal cables would connect to the other pins such as 8,9,11,13 and others.

Its hard to explain, I'm sure someone can explain more eloquently than myself.

rp2000

Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART , not read the article but look at the quote "Multi-AV SCART adaptors with Input/Output signal switch (gold & nickel). A common misbelief among game console (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) owners is such connectors will allow RGB quality, while they are only CVBS and S-Video compliant."

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
rp2000 said:
Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART , not read the article but look at the quote "Multi-AV SCART adaptors with Input/Output signal switch (gold & nickel). A common misbelief among game console (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) owners is such connectors will allow RGB quality, while they are only CVBS and S-Video compliant."
Thanks for info.

Funny that the improvement is visible especially on Zelda even on composite cable but I guess it has convinced me to get official RGB cable and get a proper 28" flat-screen tv.

Caporegime
barnettgs said:
Thanks for info.

Funny that the improvement is visible especially on Zelda even on composite cable but I guess it has convinced me to get official RGB cable and get a proper 28" flat-screen tv.

Oh, for sure there is an improvement even between different SCART blocks as some are wired better than others etc or use different metals for the interconnects. So some will make a composite signal look better.

One thing also to check is your TV supports RGB SCART and not just composite SCART. Highly unlikely. Most TV's have 2 or 3 scart sockets of which at least the 1st one will be RGB. (AV-1 or RGB-1 channel on your TV).

When I had a PS1 I got a RGB scart cable instead of composite and the difference is amazing. Its like everything is very Bright. Some TVS can switch between the composite and RGB signal and then you can truely notice the improvements if you switch channels.

good luck.

rp2000

Soldato
Its a pain having to figure out which cable to buy, and which scart socket on your telly supports RGB, but it is well worth it. The picture difference can be huge.

Also, I can vouch for the negative effects of scart switchers. Be warned, bad quality ones are also bad for picture quality.

Associate
I have always selected RGB output on devices and RGB input. I compared the visual quality for Composite and it was poor, RGB was that WOW moment, when I discovered TVs and players etc came set to composite, setting them to RGB has been my must do from then on, far better image. Never ever use composite I would say. I have just had my RGB output m ability on my sVHS player go and the composite s video and red and white phonos on front are no where near as good, and the RGB/VIDEO option for the scart socket sees a picture and sound, whilst RGB is black and sound only, after it has come back from repair shop who fixed a connection fault, but whilst I get an image with RGB/VIDEO chosen, its got faint lines through it. The JVC logo is better than the s-video Red and white connectors which see a moving rainbow artefact on the white.
set connections inputs and outputs to RGB and assess the difference, for me it was WOW !
DBenz

Back
Top Bottom