Is Teflon the best mouse mat material?

Associate
I've tried a lot of different materials for mouse mats over the years - various metals, plastics, fabrics, wood, and other more exotic materials. Of all of them, PTFE (Teflon) is the only one I didn't feel was lacking in some way. I'm posting this here now because I happened to be looking at mouse mats recently, and didn't see any PTFE ones at all. A bit more searching and I see that they are commercially available, but rare, despite PTFE seeming to be an obvious choice, and working well in my experience.

Originally I tried a solid PTFE sheet, which worked poorly because my mouse didn't track well on it (I suppose a featureless white surface isn't ideal), and despite being famously non-stick, it eventually attracts a thin layer of grime, making it not low-friction at all.

What worked better was glass fibre coated with PTFE. This stuff is sold for various purposes, such as oven liner. The glass fibres give the surface a fine texture. It doesn't suffer from the same problem with dirt as solid PTFE; presumably dirt is pushed into the little dents in the surface, leaving the low-friction PTFE exposed above. These sheets can't be used on their own though, as they are too flexible and slippery, and won't stay still on a desk. So I laminated some with other materials.

Here's a photo of pieces of the raw materials:

materials.jpg

The bottom layer is cork/rubber, which sticks quite well to a desk. Plain cork would be fine too, I just happened to have a sheet of mixed cork/rubber handy.

In the middle is carbon fibre to add stiffness. Because I used UD fabric (fibres running in only one direction), I had to use two layers at 90° to each other. I only used UD because it's what I had to hand; if I had used woven fabric then a single layer would have been sufficient.

The glass/PTFE sheet is on the top. By its nature it's hard to get it to stick to the other layers, but if the surface is roughened up enough with sand-paper then epoxy will stick to it well enough.

Here's a photo of the completed mouse mat. It's around 5 years old now, so it's looking quite worn. Despite the glass fibres being exposed in a few places, it's still a slick surface:

whole.jpg

And here's a photo from the side, showing the layers glued together, with no delamination even after years of use:

layers.jpg

And that's it. A bit tricky to get everything stuck together, but required no special tools to make, and it was cheap and has worked very well.

Soldato
Looks like a neat idea. I just use a fabric covered rubber mat that works well enough, I suppose it depends on how demanding your use is.

Soldato
Nice idea, I guess my only concern would be glass (and CF) fibres coming loose and getting into your skin (particularly your wrist rubbing against the front edge of it where the layers are exposed). Would need to make sure that was well sealed!

Best mouse pad I've ever had was an aluminium one made by Razer; "ExactMat". Not sure what the actual tracking surface was made of though

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like something different for sure
Never tried to make a mouse mat

Some of its personal preference
Sometimes you actually want a bit of friction
For sensitive/tiny mouse movements

Must admit am using an Asus rog sheath currently
And it's pretty smooth,better than I expected
Came free with something anyway
So thought would try it
Main downside is its huge and with a desk with curved edges
It's a bit of a PITA

For longevity
I have an aluminium corsair one
Ten years old looks same as when I got it
Different surface on each side which is handy

Associate
I'd never considered making my own mouse mats; I've been using these since they first became available (many years ago):

They feel great, are easy to keep clean, and they last for ages.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
my only concern would be glass (and CF) fibres coming loose and getting into your skin (particularly your wrist rubbing against the front edge of it where the layers are exposed). Would need to make sure that was well sealed!
CF splinters are certainly unpleasant. As you can see from the photos, there hasn't been any appreciable wear at the edges, and no fibres poking out. A mouse mat like this could be made with more benign fibres instead of CF; hemp would be good. Unfortunately the glass is unavoidable since there are no sheets of other fibes coated with PTFE that I have found. It hasn't been a problem though.

Main downside is its huge and with a desk with curved edges
It's a bit of a PITA
That's an advantage of making your own! The curves on mine exactly match the edge of my desk.

Caporegime
I’m still rocking an Icemat v2 from ~2007.

Still as good as it was on day 1, tracking is good as is movement.

Tried various mats since and nothing comes close to the icemat, hope I never break it!

Associate
Nice, I remember they were all the rage with cs1.6 and intellimouse 3.0(but I cant remember if it was working on this mat or not now :D :) good times.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think any one material is best. It depends on the use case - ie, tracking that requires little to no initial friction, or flicking that requires some stopping power and stability. A soft poron seems to be the best for the latter, but adds a bit of inconsistency. I currently use a silicone pad that is quite hard, works great for tracking.

Soldato
I used to run with a sheet of that non-stick baking sheet you can get from the supermarket you can get for about £8. Stuck the sheet directly to the desk with some tape. Stayed slippery for ages and could be wiped off with Mr Sheen when any surface grime had started to pick up. You could also wrap it around a piece of hardboard to make an actual mat I think if needed. I use a fabric mat that came with a gpu now though.

Associate
I’m still rocking an Icemat v2 from ~2007.

Still as good as it was on day 1, tracking is good as is movement.

Tried various mats since and nothing comes close to the icemat, hope I never break it!
Funnily enough, I just rediscovered my Icemat from about the same era. Such a quality piece of kit!

Associate
I had once built a desk and had inset a slab of polished slate for the keyboard and mouse area. It was perfectly flat and smooth and was great to use except in the winter when it would be ice cold in the morning and sap the warmth out of your hand for an hour or two whilst it warmed up.

After about 10 years it started to become less smooth and more matt around the hand area which I think is probably wear from sweaty palms. Could easily polish it out though.

Associate
I can't abide any kind of soft fabric mouse surface, always preferred smooth surfaces. A while back purchased a £20 metal one with a plastic surface only for the exposed metal coating to strip over time.

Looked for other alternatives, nothing seemed good, I also use high DPI on mouse so don't need a large pad. Many are too big or gaudy even with hard surfaces.

Turns out laminate slat flooring makes for a great mouse surface. Had some left over from installing flooring that I realised was perfect width for my desk, with wood pattern to assist tracking. Sawn off to size, sanded off a bit and with mousepad surface mesh taken off the old metal pad, it's been great and highly durable for a few years now. Great smoothness and glide and doesn't get cold. Sanded off it looks fitting and professional despite being intended as flooring. The slot ridges can also act as cable guides.

One slat of quality laminate can make about 4 mouse pads though I can't see this one needing replacing for ages. Whatever hard surface you use, it's the mouse grip mesh that completes it and provides the grip between table and mat.

Back
Top Bottom