IT Sectors - Diversifying?

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have a computer repair business supporting domestic and small businesses (been in the industry 15 years now).

A question for those in the IT industry, do you try to learn/expand your knowledge across as many areas as possible or stick to a specific sector?

Recently i'm getting a few businesses who are running ADDS (Active Directory Domain Services/Server2019). Quite bluntly i've done nothing to do with ADDS or Server software over 15 years (Not sure how long or hard it is too learn?). I only support offices/clients with upto 10 desktop computers. Most small businesses I deal with are using NAS drives or cloud file storage.

With it being my business i'm not to sure if I should expand into those areas (to diversify) or leave it for maybe a larger IT support company. I'm aware some larger companies have staff specifically for Servers, a few who do CCTV etc. With IT there are so many areas and you can't possibly cover it all.

Associate
Wanting to get myself into the IT sector recently and it seems a lot of jobs want Active Directory experience. Might be worth looking into to be able to offer it as an additional service? if one day your current customers want to move onto this you're going to lose business. Better to be prepaired to offer it surely? Could do a simple part-time Uni course or one of the CompTIA courses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I think if a company needs active directory or Azure it probably needs at least one full time IT Admin/Support person on site. At which point they don't need to contract out the other support that you do, or have someone winging it.

No harm learning it but easy to get out of your depth with it. Could be a real time soak with little return. It would be easy to over reach.

Associate
ADDS It's very easy - just need to plan on whose using what and how locked down they need things. In general I would just follow the money - if you're getting requests for it, then it's worth looking at Youtube for an hour to see what it's about.

Soldato
The job market is awful at the moment for IT so it's not a good time. Employers are also asking for unrealistic experience/qualifications for some roles.

Saw one earlier wanting SQL, NET and C# expertise in a single role offering 28-35k a year lol. Unsurprisingly no one has applied for it. They need to double that salary.

Anyway AD is quite easy to pick up, you'll need to know group policy as well as they go together. Lots of people also asking for Azure now, which is mostly just the same old stuff in a cloud system.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw one earlier wanting SQL, NET and C# expertise in a single role offering 28-35k a year lol. Unsurprisingly no one has applied for it. They need to double that salary.

These are so funny, I've seen some really silly ones - "Full-stack developer, architect, DBA, must have finance experience, must hold current DV clearance - £300/day".
I assume the vast majority are crossed wires/chinese whispers between company tech -> company HR -> recruiter.

Soldato
These are so funny, I've seen some really silly ones - "Full-stack developer, architect, DBA, must have finance experience, must hold current DV clearance - £300/day".
I assume the vast majority are crossed wires/chinese whispers between company tech -> company HR -> recruiter.

Not sure, some actually seem to be sticking to it. I had an interview at a place where I had experience in 95% things they wanted. Rejected because I didn't have one thing and they were not willing to offer training. Ridiculous, they are never going to find someone with all the stuff they are asking for as some are a whole job in itself. The job was still being advertised when I looked 3-4 months later.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure, some actually seem to be sticking to it. I had an interview at a place where I had experience in 95% things they wanted. Rejected because I didn't have one thing and they were not willing to offer training. Ridiculous, they are never going to find someone with all the stuff they are asking for as some are a whole job in itself. The job was still being advertised when I looked 3-4 months later.

That's how it is now.

I have been rejected for jobs because I don't have enough networking experience. Yet I have worked in data centers for 2 years, so I have intermediate knowledge already and nearly 20 years working in IT. But nope, they don't want to train you on that one piece you are missing, only come in through the door with all the skills.

Only thing I learnt with my career. I can have all the IT experience and certifications in the world. But I cant please everyone and I don't try to do so either.

Soldato
That's how it is now.

I have been rejected for jobs because I don't have enough networking experience. Yet I have worked in data centers for 2 years, so I have intermediate knowledge already and nearly 20 years working in IT. But nope, they don't want to train you on that one piece you are missing, only come in through the door with all the skills.

Only thing I learnt with my career. I can have all the IT experience and certifications in the world. But I cant please everyone and I don't try to do so either.

Yep and often the people doing the recruitment and interviews aren't actually in the IT sector, they are just going through a check sheet which someone in HR whipped up. They don't really know what they are looking for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom