Keyboard & Mouse

Associate
Hi All,

Just put an order in for my new gaming rig. Custom build by OCUK! Can't wait!

I think the next step is to get a decent keyboard and mouse.

I started searching for gaming keyboards, but then I read a lot of people talking about mechanical keyboards. I can see on the OCUK website they list gaming keyboards and mechanical keyboards separate.

What's the story? I've been out of the gaming / PC scene for 15 years. Do I need a gaming keyboard or mechanical or is there such a thing as mechanical gaming keyboard. I think I would prefer wireless to keep my desk clear. Are there mechanical, gaming, wireless keyboards? RGB would be good too. Lot of people talk about he sounds of the mechanical keyboard, surely that's not the only benefit?

On a mouse, I'm not sure where to start, some recommendation would be helpful. What are the key specs to look out for?

I also need to keep an eye on cost, decent, affordable etc.. ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil

Soldato
Hi All,

Just put an order in for my new gaming rig. Custom build by OCUK! Can't wait!

I think the next step is to get a decent keyboard and mouse.

I started searching for gaming keyboards, but then I read a lot of people talking about mechanical keyboards. I can see on the OCUK website they list gaming keyboards and mechanical keyboards separate.

What's the story? I've been out of the gaming / PC scene for 15 years. Do I need a gaming keyboard or mechanical or is there such a thing as mechanical gaming keyboard. I think I would prefer wireless to keep my desk clear. Are there mechanical, gaming, wireless keyboards? RGB would be good too. Lot of people talk about he sounds of the mechanical keyboard, surely that's not the only benefit?

On a mouse, I'm not sure where to start, some recommendation would be helpful. What are the key specs to look out for?

I also need to keep an eye on cost, decent, affordable etc.. ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil

I am far from some kind of keyboard guru but generally the terms are almost the same now as most gaming keyboards have now mechanical keys. Mechanical keys have much nicer feel to them when pressed and different sound and force profiles. The activation force and sound depends on the colour or type of keys. Several years ago it was much simpler, now you have different companies each doing their own interpretation of the original keys. Generally gaming keyboards have all kind of RGB backlights and software for customisations and key binds and they offer more key customisation. The office type mechanical keyboard offer less of these features.

1) Decide what type of keys you want.
What I would suggest is to search the *bay or rainforest for little test keys, they are 6-8 keys of different colour keys that you can buy and see what type you like, I cant seem to find only on OCUK shop maybe drop them a line they might have it somewhere. Some like red, some like black and some like blue, brow, ect ect ect. Its personal preference. Their main difference is activation force and clicky sounds they make. Some of the most bespoke keyboards involve lubricating each individual keys.

2) decide whether you want tall or standard size height keys or more laptop type keys( ie more flat). I prefer the more flat type for doing coding/gaming. I also prefer the keys that have less activation force, easier to press the keys.

3) decide whether you want wireless keyboard. This type of keyboard requires may require periodic charging specially if you require the backlight to be on all the time with RGB stuff going crazy. If you turn them off you get much better battery life. I prefer wireless but some hardcore professional competitive gamers prefer wired because of latency issues that are now extremely small.

4) decide the size of keyboard you want, ie full size with number pad on the right side or TKL or 75%, 64% etc etc. If coding a lot I prefer full sized, for gaming the shorter TKL or 75% is lowest I can go otherwise you loose too much keys and I get a craped feeling when typing.

5) as for mouse I would prefer wireless and Logitech is good place to start and also their keyboard are good and work well. They do office and gaming type keyboard and mouse.

razer have great gaming mouse keyboards.

ASUS is also very good but you pay what I call ASUS tax as they are generally more expensive then the rest. There is also gigabyte which make solid keyboard and mouse. Ducky keyboards are good and there is so many that I cant even name 10% of them.

If you really want to spend a lot and feel more adventurous you can buy more customisable keyboard where you can replace the keys with other type of keys something like the ASUS AZOTH and few other keyboard which you can easily end up spending upwards of £300-400+ .

I don't think suggesting a keyboard/mouse combo would help you since you have no really decided what you want/require. I would also say anything you buy now would be amazing compared to what you were possibly using before, i.e. rubber dome keyboard or traditional laptop keyboards.

good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom