Memory Swap/Advice

Associate
I'm looking at swapping my memory out but not sure which to go for, if at all.

The reason for swapping is due to my current memory only being Intel XMP Memory and I have an AMD system - AMD EXPO (not sure if this makes a difference).

I'm looking at the following;

CORSAIR VENGEANCE® RGB 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30 AMD EXPO & Intel XMP Memory Kit (CMH64GX5M2B6000Z30)

The speed of my current memory is faster at 6400 MT/s but the new memory is only 6000 MT/s is it even worth swapping out or should I just stick with current memory and buy two additional modules to make 64GB total.

The supported RAM for my mainboard on the corsair website shows;

Thanks in advance.

▪︎ MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI

▪︎ AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D RETAIL

▪︎ Noctua NH-U9S Intel/AMD Slim CPU Cooler 125mm

▪︎ Corsair Vengeance Black 32GB 6400MHz DDR5 KIT 2x16GB (CMK32GX5M2B6400C32)

▪︎ MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12GB VENTUS 2X OC Ada Lovelace GPU

▪︎ Corsair MP700 PRO 1TB M.2 PCle Gen5 x4 NVMe 2.0 SSD

▪︎ Corsair RMe Series 1000 Watt Compact Fully Modular 80+ Gold PCIe5 PSU

▪︎ Fractal Pop XL Silent Black Full Tower PC Case

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The reason for swapping is due to my current memory only being Intel XMP Memory and I have an AMD system - AMD EXPO (not sure if this makes a difference).
Most AMD boards can run fine with XMP, so if the memory works and your PC is stable, then it doesn't matter.

That said, if you do intend to buy new memory then I'd swap it out. I haven't read recent reports, but most older reports on 4 sticks are bad.

The speed of my current memory is faster at 6400 MT/s but the new memory is only 6000 MT/s is it even worth swapping out
It depends if you're using the memory or not. There's not much benefit to having more memory than you're actually using because it just sits there, but if you DO need the memory then the loss of speed is not at all important, because the impact of running out of memory is much bigger than a few Mhz.

Associate
OP
Thanks @Tetras

PC runs fine, no problems thus far.

I'm only using the PC mainly for gaming and the odd desktop application (not for productivity).

I think my biggest error here was going with the Ryzen 9 7900X3D instead of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, although benchmarks online are very mixed from what I can see. Although many favour the 7800X3D.

I wanted to upgrade the memory solely for the AMD EXPO but if this isn't worth it then I shall pass. I thought if I was upgrading the memory then I'd move to 64GB from 32GB (perhaps 2x 32GB modules). I suppose it all depends on the performance gain.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think my biggest error here was going with the Ryzen 9 7900X3D instead of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D
The performance loss isn't that big and outside of benchmarks I doubt you'll ever notice, so I wouldn't worry about it!

I wanted to upgrade the memory solely for the AMD EXPO but if this isn't worth it then I shall pass.
Definitely not worth it, EXPO is the same thing as XMP, so if XMP works fine for you then there's no point.

I thought if I was upgrading the memory then I'd move to 64GB from 32GB (perhaps 2x 32GB modules). I suppose it all depends on the performance gain.
Yeah, if you need it, then it makes sense to do that, but they're increasing memory density so in the future you'll be able to buy (2 stick) mass production 96GB and 128GB kits.

Associate
OP
I'd probably stick with what I have for now then. Out of curiosity; If you was to upgrade the memory today, what would you go for?

Thanks for your advice @Tetras, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd probably stick with what I have for now then. Out of curiosity; If you was to upgrade the memory today, what would you go for?

The G.Skill low latency 6000 kits seem to be highly thought of for AMD systems, so I'd probably get one of those, but keep in mind I spec Crucial Pro 5600 a lot (which is JEDEC), so I'm not a good person to ask :D

Associate

Stick with what you’ve got for now.

Tetras has given you good advice - if it works, it’s fine.

You might see an improvement by going for faster ram with tighter timings but it’s largely just spending that much more for diminishing gains.

If you were to upgrade, get a 48gig kit at 6400 MT/s with EXPO but I’d only do that if you were overclocking and could manually set the speeds and timings and had a week or so to make sure that the RAM was stable.

Not really worth it.

Back
Top Bottom