MS-DOS_6.22

Associate
I've been getting into MS DOS although I'm no expert just yet I'm still learning the commands and what things do and how DOS works in general.

I was always a RISC OS BBC Basic person so I never really dabbled much in MS-DOS.

In the early days when I worked for a computer place, the only involvement I had with MS-DOS was installing it so my knowledge with DOS never went beyond that. The good thing about DOS is that I can install it on CF Card as its a light very basic OS and with CF cards I can have many different versions and different ways of setting up DOS on each CF Card.

So I've done another MS-DOS 6.22 install on another CF Card, a 4GB one this time with an extended partition which not only gives me drive C: but a drive D: I'm using two 486 computers, none have optical drives so I don't need to worry about D: not being an optical drive.

The only things I really need are a Games Directory and a Dump Directory for dumping files on to. I've created those. The only drivers I need is UNISOUND and CT MOUSE, possibly a driver for my game port on the sound card so I can use a joy stick... so for basic drivers UNISOUND & CT MOUSE is good enough for me. That is pretty much my DOS install... clean and simple.

I was thinking of ways on how I could change the color of the MS-DOS text from white to green for a more retro look without messing anything up.

Is there a DOS package of some description I could download that would allow me to have green text in MS-DOS?

Last edited:
Soldato
You can do it with just basic DOS and loading the ansi.sys driver. It's been a long time since I messed about with this stuff, but I've found this with some more info: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aamm

I'll see if I can find one of my pre-built DOS VMs to have a go with.

Soldato
Here, this should do it:

I just added the ansi.sys driver to config.sys (just put this line in config.sys: device=c:\dos\ansi.sys) then rebooted and then used this command:

prompt $e[0;32m$p$g

A default autoexec.bat will have a prompt line in it already so you can just append those paramaters to keep it that way on startup. If your autoexec.bat doesn't have a prompt line then just add the whole thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom