Muhammad Ali V Rocky Marciano.

Man of Honour
OP
dannyjo22 said:
But that is again looking at tyson from a post prison phase. I dont think he was flustered against holmes at all. Just took a little time to get going.

But for the oening rounds, Holmes boxed superbly and I would have a prime Holmes to beat Tyson on that jab alone.

Foreman and shavers MAY have been harder hitters than tyson but not in such devastating combo's or with the same speed.

Agreed.:)

As for the bruno bit earlier in the post, so what he got rocked once. Bruno was no pansy in the punch power division. Difference is Tyson stayed up Ali went down when hit by Cooper ;)

If Bruno had of follwed up with a couple of more shots he may have floored him while he was stunned.

As for Ali being dropped, he was dropped 4 times during his career and I think it's testament to a great fighter when they get back up and finish the job, although Ali did lose in 1971 to Frazier after he was dropped with that sledgehammer that was Frazier's left hook.

Holmes was dropped by a massive Earnie Shavers punch but got back up and won. It's no shame being dropped is it ?

In tysons post prison fights or even against douglas he had an amazing chin. He took big whuppings. I dont see ali troubling tysons chin at all. I also dont think thats why holmes jab bothered him, he was quite happy to take a few to work his way inside.

I didn't say he would trouble Tyson's chin, I said he would dance round him for 12 rounds and pick him off and Ali himself acknowledged he wasn't a hard puncher or was known as one.

I'm not ******* on your theory, like mine it's just my thoughts on the matter, If It sounds abrubt I dont mean it too :)

Not at all, you have your opinions and it all adds to an interesting debate.

Associate
That`s the only thing Ali could do with Marciano would be to "dance" (RUN AWAY) from him. Maybe his entourage would pre rig the ropes so Ali could bend backwards out of harms way (This has been done before).
The difference with Marciano compared to all of Ali`s opponents was that Marciano hit EVERY punch hard as rock and he threw a lot of them,more than the heavyweights of Ali`s time.
Ali would not have the power to even make the Rock flinch.
If Ali could avoid the Rock for 12 or so rounds he may have a chance, but this is not the sort of boxing match I would pay or even watch for free.

Anyway I don`t like discussions like this about imaginary fights that will never happen from fighters of different times, so I will shut up from now on but I just wanted to put a point across for Marciano too the many Ali Fanboys who probably don`t know that much about Marciano ( Or many other fighters). :p

Above comment not directed at people on this forum particularly also too peeps I meet in my every day life ! ;)

Caporegime
Von Smallhausen said:
If Bruno had of follwed up with a couple of more shots he may have floored him while he was stunned..

Yes I see your point but I also think Tyson would have enough to come up off the floor to beat Bruno. Bruno after 5 rounds usually punched himself out anyway. Bruno was never fast enough in the finish. It was one of bruno's finest punches but any fighter has been hit with one of those during his career. Difference is Tyson didnt go down, like say lewis against Mcall.

I think I might buy one of those dvd collections you see in Ring magazine sometimes on Larry Holmes, reaquaint myself with some of his earlier to mid career fights.

Man of Honour
OP
rayb74 said:
Anyway I don`t like discussions like this about imaginary fights that will never happen from fighters of different times, so I will shut up from now on but I just wanted to put a point across for Marciano too the many Ali Fanboys who probably don`t know that much about Marciano ( Or many other fighters). :p

Well I like your contribution so please don't shut up and I agree that it is all conjecture and opinion but the thought of a fight between those two does appeal.

Your words weren't a go at anyone I think. ;) I am an Ali fanboy and I do have the knowledge of the heavyweight division from James J Corbett to Mike Tyson and even a bit of Lennox Lewis, my interest is in the Marciano to Tyson years.

I know enough about Marciano and I know enough to appreciate his massive contribution to the heavyweight division and the fact he had a 49-0 record, albeit against some unknowns. I am a big fan of Marciano but for me there is nobody to touch a prime Ali. Big mouth ? yes. Talent to back it up ? Without question. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
rayb74 said:
That`s the only thing Ali could do with Marciano would be to "dance" (RUN AWAY) from him. Maybe his entourage would pre rig the ropes so Ali could bend backwards out of harms way (This has been done before).
The difference with Marciano compared to all of Ali`s opponents was that Marciano hit EVERY punch hard as rock and he threw a lot of them,more than the heavyweights of Ali`s time.
Ali would not have the power to even make the Rock flinch.

Thats the trouble, I do believe Ali had more power than anything he wouldve been hit with. The weight difference for a start, let alone the speed. Not to mention the wearing down of a light fighter like Marciano just by leaning on them.

Your right its hard to compare styles from different era's because RM would be DQF from many of the fights today.

Back
Top Bottom