My Mini Review of Gainward 4870 512MB GDDR5 Golden Sample!!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi Gibbo, thanks for the great review!

Quick question, what were the overall system temps were like? The coolers vent air into the case not out the back right? Did this have any significant impact on heat buildup?

Hi there

It was tested on an open bench. So heat is not exhausted out of the case. If you have a case with poor ventilation then expect to see a rise of upto 5c in case temps, if you have good airflow then it may have little to no effect.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12475476 said:
Interesting. It seems to be about 20-30 quid more than cards like the HIS 4870 - whats the practical difference?

The nice cooling that keeps the heat way down and its quiet. A slight overclock with the turbo switch but its mainly down to the cooling.

Associate
Why do a review using a processor and motherboard that aren't available to the public yet..? I'd be more interested in seeing how the card performed with a Q6600, a more common motherboard and more common memory, say 2-4Gb.

Whilst we all appreciate you taking the time and effort into doing a review it's a bit pointless when your test setup is the dog's wotsits. :confused:

Can't type for toffee
Don
Gibbo could you do the followin few comparisons please?
or has the kit already gone?

Stock fan 35% V This one at 35%
Stock fan 50% V This one at 50%
Stock fan 100% (OUCH) V This one at 100%

Human ear or Db would be great :)

Associate
Why do a review using a processor and motherboard that aren't available to the public yet..? I'd be more interested in seeing how the card performed with a Q6600, a more common motherboard and more common memory, say 2-4Gb.

Whilst we all appreciate you taking the time and effort into doing a review it's a bit pointless when your test setup is the dog's wotsits. :confused:

ditto

Soldato
i guess crysis does not benefit of nehalem cpu and still runs bad.

bit strange review as no one has i7 cpu yet. But i guess it shows that i7 will basically will not give much boost in games.

Soldato
GIBBO, can you run Furmark at 1024x768, windows mode, stability test and run for say 15mins and post the max GPU temp and max of all 3 VRM temps?

Seems a good cooler, as good as the Accelero S1.

Associate
Just got a word from a user who bought this and hes saying the cooler is very noisy. I would wait for second review.

OcUK Staff
OP
Just got a word from a user who bought this and hes saying the cooler is very noisy. I would wait for second review.

HI there

Very noisy I associate with noise levels similar to a hoover or hair dryer, the card I tested never even got close to such noise levels.

The second smaller fan on the card was audible in our office environment, but only just but it was tested on an open desk. In a case on the floor I can't imagine the cooler been audible and the other guys in the office found it quiet too.

Soldato

Been tested in our purchasing office in a open case, with one of our purchasers ears getting a nice warm draft of air from the card.

Certainly not noisey, beats the Neo Vortex at full tilt thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom