My PC has an apparent SSD drive size limit of 1TB?

Associate
Hi

I was looking to upgrade some of the drives in my Dell XPS 8930 (purchased May 2019).

The drives I wanted to upgrade were:
- a 1TB NVMe M.2, to a 2TB version
- and a 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD, also to a 2TB version.

Though looking through the specs for my machine, it indicates my PC has a limit for any SSDs of 1TB.

So I was a bit puzzled about the apparent 1TB limit, and was wondering if there was a way of getting round this 1TB limit?

The specs of my current drivers are:
- Samsung Evo Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2
- Samsung EVO 850 2.5" 500GB SATA SSD.

Many thanks

Associate
OP
This info I found from the official documentation for my PC, on the Dell Support site. I also contacted Overclockers and they seemed to back it up by saying my max size is 1TB for any SSDs, again I do find this puzzling why the limit?

Man of Honour
It might be because the M.2 slot only supports single sided modules and at the time the specs were produced, I think all 2TB (or higher) M.2 drives were double sided.

I believe the restriction does not apply to hard drives or SSDs in the 2.5 format, which would support my theory.

Don
Crucial (who make SSDs) offer a compatibility advisor on their web site:

They list drives bigger than 1TB as being compatible, but as @Tetras mentioned, all of the ones they list are Single-Sided e.g. P3 Plus 2TB or T500 2TB

So all of these models should be ok:
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £530.92 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

£130 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£155 (incl. VAT)
£153 (incl. VAT)
£250 (incl. VAT)
£243 (incl. VAT)
Man of Honour
Crucial (who make SSDs) offer a compatibility advisor on their web site:

They list drives bigger than 1TB as being compatible, but as @Tetras mentioned, all of the ones they list are Single-Sided e.g. P3 Plus 2TB or T500 2TB
I checked Kingston's configurator and they actually list a double sided M.2 drive (KC3000) as compatible, so unless Kingston have made an error, maybe the tech specs are just limited to what Dell would supply for the machine?

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the help on this, and clarifying that it is possible to use drives of more than 1TB. I will have a good look at both Crucial and Kingston configurators before making a choice.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom