New Car Advice

Man of Honour
Absolutley. Plus they help with stuff like ACC and I'd guess hill hold and things like that.

That said, my T6.1 has a manual handbrake and ACC. Although I'm doing no handbrake turns in that. But I'd guess that's why I have to put my foot on the brake shortly after coming to a stop, as the handbrake isn't electronic.

My Focus has hill hold, and also a manual handbrake.

So I guess it's not required for any of these things.

I used to think auto hold used the handbrake as well, but it turns out it doesn't, I had been wrong for years :D

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Is this criteria not screaming Golf GTI to anyone else?
When I had my Mazda 6mps in for some insurance work I was offered a 2l Astra diesel as a courtesy car.... deffo not!
Ended up with a Golf GTI, felt flat as a pancake tbh

Go a little older MAzada 3MPS ? I don't think mazda have done anything relatively sport since

I'd deffo be lookin at the N's altho the GR Yaris is meant to be fun too

Soldato
When I had my Mazda 6mps in for some insurance work I was offered a 2l Astra diesel as a courtesy car.... deffo not!
Ended up with a Golf GTI, felt flat as a pancake tbh

Go a little older MAzada 3MPS ? I don't think mazda have done anything relatively sport since

I'd deffo be lookin at the N's altho the GR Yaris is meant to be fun too

That's fair enough. To be fair, the last Golf GTI I had was an Edition 30. And it was ace fun. Which is why I instantly thought of that. Although, to be fair, for my money I'd be looking for a Golf R Estate, and a bit older, as I'd prefer the mk7.5 rather than the mk8.

Associate
OP
Can't say I'm a fan of the Golf, think it's too boxy looking, and it'll suffer from the same infotainment issues as the Cupra to some degree I assume. The Cupra I do think looks nice, I have test driven it, the 190bhp version.

If it hadn't been for the new Honda Civic Type R jumping 10k or so in price I'd probably been looking at that as my first choice, not sure I want to be paying about 30k for a 3-4 year old one either. Similar issue with the GR Yaris, they seem to go for about their new price or more in some cases of unused / low mileage / new dealer examples.

I probably should have also said I want a 5 door ideally. I briefly considered Toyota GR86 / Mazda MX-5 type thing but ruled it out as I don't think I could live with it as an only car due to practically in relation to seats and storage / boot space.

**Edit added - Should be test driving the Mazda 3 tomorrow**

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oooh nice with 3 is it?
Was the manual Skyactiv G, no idea on trim level but think most are well enough kitted for what I care about. I was hoping to test the Skyactiv X though as that would be more likely the engine I'd want.

Thought it was good, gears changed nice, prefer the infotainment system having knobs / button control rather than touchscreen that Cupra and VW group cars seem to have. Certainly feels more premium than previous Mazda cars. Main gripe was rear visibility was rubbish.

Associate
OP
Is there any reason a car dealer would offer a bigger discount on a car if they preregister it first before selling to me?

Note this car would currently be unregistered but they're offering a bigger discount to preregister it first.

Caporegime
Is there any reason a car dealer would offer a bigger discount on a car if they preregister it first before selling to me?

Note this car would currently be unregistered but they're offering a bigger discount to preregister it first.
Counts towards their numbers with the manufacturer which can mean bonuses and incentives for staff or the dealership. It'll show as 1 owner on the V5 already so you'll show as the second owner if that bothers you.

Associate
OP
Counts towards their numbers with the manufacturer which can mean bonuses and incentives for staff or the dealership. It'll show as 1 owner on the V5 already so you'll show as the second owner if that bothers you.
They haven't pre-registered it yet as far as I know, so I'm confused as to how it would help their numbers to do that before selling to me?

Unless it allows them to count it twice towards their numbers, once when they pre-register then again when selling on to me.

Soldato
. Hyundai also appeal due to warranty of 5 years
since i30 was also being discussed as reliable in other audi1.8t thread see that like MG the media screen is only 3
... also probably like many
Vehicles used as taxis, rental cars or for ride-hailing services are covered by a 3-year, 100,000 km warranty – whatever comes first.
so assume, that whilst a main dealer could assert what warranty applied, for other garages how would you check it wasn't initially a hire car.

Back
Top Bottom