New motherboard install, can I use existing drive with existing chipset drivers?

Associate
So I currently have a Asus X299 Strix XE Motherboard LGA2066

I am changing the motherboard to a Asus X299 Strix II motherboard

The differences are that the Asus X299 Strix II has 256GB RAM support instead of 128GB (not that I will use)

Wifi is changed from wireless AC to Wireless AX
Bluetooth 5.0 from 4.0
1GB Lan to 2.5GB Lan

Cant see anything else but do you think I can insert an existing M.2 loaded with W11 and plug n play rather than having to install a fresh OS and start all over again?

I mean the chipset drivers should be the same?

Thanks guys

(Existing motherboard possibly faulty hence the new install)

Soldato
I've done this for 2 upgrades now, i do generally uninstall the existing chipset drivers first incase of any conflicts.

Otherwise yes it just works, windows will install the new chipset drivers and any drivers that don't get installed you can download from the vendors site.

Don
Should be absolutely fine - I've even done Intel-> AMD motherboard/cpu swaps that have worked absolutely fine. When it first boots back up it will install anything that's missing and just need a reboot.

After that just check device manager for anything that hasn't been installed. (And if you are feeling particularly anal, you can show hidden devices and remove anything that's no longer in use)

Back
Top Bottom