New noisy Seagate drive - is this normal?

Associate
Hi All

I've just installed a new 4TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 5400rpm, 256MB Cache as a user file storage drive. The "C" drive is a 1TB SSD.

The 4TB Seagate is very noisy and not like a bunch of other Seagate drives I have now or have had in the past.

Here's a sound clip:

Can you please advise if this is normal before I try to RMA?

Many thanks

Al

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I would not be happy with that noise, normal or not. Can you return it and get an actually quiet drive like a WD Red or something? I used to have 3x WD Reds (2TB + 2x 4TB) when I had HDDs for storage and they were all quiet. The variable spindle speed on the Red range is really intelligent.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would not be happy with that noise, normal or not. Can you return it and get an actually quiet drive like a WD Red or something? I used to have 3x WD Reds (2TB + 2x 4TB) when I had HDDs for storage and they were all quiet. The variable spindle speed on the Red range is really intelligent.
mrk, can I ask. Any issues running a WD red NAS drive as a single volume backup drive in a desktop PC such as our Dell XP8950? Would it be a more reliable drive and better option than the WD blue?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
mrk, can I ask. Any issues running a WD red NAS drive as a single volume backup drive in a desktop PC such as our Dell XP8950? Would it be a more reliable drive and better option than the WD blue?
Hi, never had problems with WD Reds, they are NAS drives but function perfectly as solo desktop drives too. Arguably better as built for always on and resilience etc. I had mine set up both inside the PC and on a USB dock for monthly backup runs. Had WD Blue before, they are slower so yes Red would be better from my experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bit late of a reply but yes I've had WD greens and blues and they don't last a few years at best the Red I've got now is still going strong

Associate
OP
After further investigation, if you sit the drive loose on top of the PC case plugged in it's totally silent. Put it back in the blue plastic caddy in either of the two 3.5 bays it makes the clunking sound. In one of the bays it's a bit quieter so it's obviously sesonating through the case somehow

Caporegime
Think I've just found this out. Had a 16TB EXOS in my HTPC for a year or so, never really noticed the noise in our last place - plus the HTPC wasn't as close to our bedroom as it is now.

The noise levels are definitely audible, my wife isn't impressed lol.

Back
Top Bottom