• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I still fail to see why the 5090 should be significantly more expensive than the 4090. The 4090 wasn't significantly more expensive than the 3090, despite being a LOT faster.
Nothing to do with performance. It's eating into production capacity of the enterprise chips that are much better margin for Nvidia, hence I expect them to be of low availability and high price. Also, Nvidia has no competition so can dictate any price they want, freely - rich gamers already shown them twice that they will happily pay high price for top performance. And, let's not forget Nvidia CEO multiple times claiming since 4090 release that it's too cheap and this was the last time such good GPU has been sold for such low price (his words, not mine).

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nothing to do with performance. It's eating into production capacity of the enterprise chips that are much better margin for Nvidia, hence I expect them to be of low availability and high price. Also, Nvidia has no competition so can dictate any price they want, freely - rich gamers already shown them twice that they will happily pay high price for top performance. And, let's not forget Nvidia CEO multiple times claiming since 4090 release that it's too cheap and this was the last time such good GPU has been sold for such low price (his words, not mine).

Well the 3090Ti didn’t sell well, so it would appear there is a price threshold for most.

Associate
Well the 3090Ti didn’t sell well, so it would appear there is a price threshold for most.
And Nvidia learned the lesson then released 4090 with much bigger gap from 4080 and then also dlss 3 FG that isn't supported on older generation for whatever arbitrary reason and suddenly sales went up to the point it was very hard to buy 4090 for a long time for MSRP (still a case).

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
And Nvidia learned the lesson then released 4090 with much bigger gap from 4080 and then also dałaś 3 FG that isn't supported on older generation for whatever arbitrary reason and suddenly sales went up to the point it was very hard to buy 4090 for a long time for MSRP (still a case).

Sure but the 4090 was the same price as the 3090 at release I believe.

Think the 5090 will be pretty much the same price again TBH.

Soldato
I sold my 4090 at just over 1300 for a small loss (less than £100) it has been in its box and had no time/couldn't be arsed to set it up with my other stuff, so by the time I'd have got to use it next gen would've been literally just be a few months away.

Soldato
Wasn't it £1649? The Ampere FE was £1399. The 4080 was over £1200 I recall.
The UK price bounced around due to £ vs $ currency fluctuations but the 3090 > 4090 saw a $100 price increase from $1499 to $1599

I think this is also why a lot of people were baffled with the 3080 > 4080 seeing a +$500 increase especially with the 4080 being a far weaker card for its generation and built on what would have been the 70 die in the Ampere generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The UK price bounced around due to £ vs $ currency fluctuations

On release it was definitely £200+ more than previous gen, they then 'discounted' to adjust for the currency some months later. UK seemed to be £1679, much more than $100 not sure why your using USD basis. The 4080 was indeed scorned as it saw the huge uplift in price but not quite the same performance justification. All eyes are on the inbound 50 series price reveal..

Soldato
On release it was definitely £200+ more than previous gen, they then 'discounted' to adjust for the currency some months later. UK seemed to be £1679, much more than $100 not sure why your using USD basis. The 4080 was indeed scorned as it saw the huge uplift in price but not quite the same performance justification. All eyes are on the inbound 50 series price reveal..
The £ vs $ was around $1.28 to 1.00gbp when the 3090 launched, when the 4090 launched it was just after Truss crashed the pound so around $1.10 to 1.00gbp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom