Over-rated / terrible movies?

Associate
The opposite of the under-rated movie thread.

What films have you see that are TRULY terrible.
It doesn't matter if others agree they are terrible, or whether they have a cult following, or whether people think they are 'ironcally terrible'.

If it sucks, it belongs here.

My No1 choice is

"Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Many, including myself, agree that Bela Lugosi's Dracula is the definitive portrayal.

Some actors are brilliant for one role, but not so much for a broad acting range.

In any event in P9FOS much of the Bela Lugosi's role isn't actually him. Lugosi died four days into its shooting—his part was later filled by the director’s wife’s chiropractor, as a favour. In the final edit, the last footage of Lugosi remains, still dressed in the cape beside an open grave. Some footage was also used which the director had filmed for a planned future Lugosi film.

The film has an incoherent plot, cheaply filmed, and not at all engaging.

The best review of this film I have read is "Bela Lugosi died during filming, some say of embarassment"

As a side note (and a sad one) - Bela himself was a tragic character 5 marriages and heroin/morphiate addiction among his many problems. He was the epitome of a 'faded star' from the heights of success to the depths of despair. A very interesting article can be read here. He was buried in his iconic cape, and is remembered in song in Bauhaus' classic 'Bela Lugosi's dead'

White on white translucent black capes
Back on the rack
Bela Lugosi's dead

The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead

Bela Lugosi's dead
Undead undead undead
Undead undead undead

The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room
The count

Bela Lugosi's dead
....undead

Well that was an overly length answer - shorter ones are acceptable, even welcomed ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Funny story about Natural Born Killers. Screenplay was written Tarantino, heavily revised by Stone. Tarantino got a writing credit but 'disowned' the film.
Must have been a bit odd for Woody Harrelson playing a role of a killer - his dad was a bona-fide hitman.

Another miovie that springs tomind for me as trily awaful -
"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"
I've fallen asleep every time I have attempted to watch it.

A complete waste of the talent of Sean Connery, Richard Roxburgh and everyone else in the film for that matter.
The greatest tragedy: It was Connery's final role in a theatrically released live-action film before his retirement in 2006 and death in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom