PC shut down, won't turn on, PSU blowing plug fuse?

Associate
I recently posted this on the Tom's Hardware forum but I figured I'm better off posting somewhere more local.

PC Specs:
PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power 13 750W
Mobo: MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk Max WIFI​
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x​
GPU: Radeon RX 6800XT (Powercooler Red Devil)​
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX​

I built this PC back in August and it's been working swimmingly. Turned it off one day with no problem, faffed about for 30 minutes, and when I returned to turn it back on nothing happened. I looked into it and after some troubleshooting I noticed that the PSU's plug had blown a fuse. I replaced the fuse, and it blew that one too (probably a daft idea in retrospect). At no point did I hear a pop, fizz, or bang.

The PSU was plugged into a surge protector both times on different outlets when the fuses blew - I don't believe that the surge protector is the issue, it was still delivering power to my monitors but you never know.

The only thing I think that could've caused it is... I usually turn off the mains switch with my foot (instead of getting up and crawling under my desk), and because its less dextrous sometimes the switch will be stuck in the middle for a moment, rapidly flicking between on and off.

Truth be told I'm a little anxious because I've never dealt with anything like this before.
I haven't tried the paperclip test but it's hard to undo decades of don't stick paperclips into electronics, and considering it's blown 2 fuses I feel like I should just RMA it. If anything, I think I want some assurance that it's the right thing to do.

I'm also concerned if there's any way I can check the health of my other components without a spare test rig available - and if I install a new PSU, what if that pops a fuse?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In the end I replaced the PSU with a new one and it's working fine - thankfully no components are broken.

I doubt there'd be much worth in testing the old PSU, yeah it might turn on and it might work, but I can't guarantee the safety of my system if I plugged it back in. I'll RMA and if it's aight I'll keep the replacement as a backup or something.

Back
Top Bottom