Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
I have quite the suite of 18v Makita tools, from various DIY tasks since my first house:
I recently inventoried mine in order:

Multi-Drill
Impact driver
36v Mower
LED Lamp
Hoover
Multi tool
Hedge trimmer
Circular saw (BL)
Orbit sander
Multi-Drill (BL)
1/2 inch Impact driver
3kg SDS drill
Strimmer
Angle grinder
Blower
Router (BL)
Planer

Aside from the drills, the mower, multi tool, circular saw and orbit sander see the most use.
I've yet to come across a bad makita tool!

Also have:
8x 3.0 amp batteries
2x 5.0 ah batteries
2x 1.5 ah batteries
3x chargers (single)

My next purchase will likely be an 18v jigsaw as currently have a corded bosch..
I'd like a chop saw but realistically don't have the space and managed most jobs with circular saw and a set square.

I recently discovered 'badaptors' which allows me to use my makita batteries into ryobi (other brands available if you so choose).
Although the tools share the same voltage I was sceptical so make a habit of only using my older batteries (i number them), has been working flawlessly thus far.

I've then purchased:
ryobi 16g nailer (at least £200 cheaper than makita nearest equivalent)
ryobi patio cleaner (makita don't make one!)
ryobi polisher (yet to use)

Associate
Hi. Can anyone give recommendations for a long reach hedge trimmer?
Not sure whether to buy a budget model. Seen one by VonHaus that seems to get decent reviews for under £100.
Worth paying extra for Bosch etc?
Needs to be battery due to location of use.

Primarily for trimming low hanging thin branches on trees that hang over footpath.

The Makita DUN500WRTE is superb. It uses a single 18v battery that will last (5ah) up to an hour and folds. It will easily deal with 1cm stems.

Soldato
Hi. Can anyone give recommendations for a long reach hedge trimmer?
Not sure whether to buy a budget model. Seen one by VonHaus that seems to get decent reviews for under £100.
Worth paying extra for Bosch etc?
Needs to be battery due to location of use.

Primarily for trimming low hanging thin branches on trees that hang over footpath.

In most cases, a pole trimmer doesn't give you all that much more reach. It may look like it does, but you are often better off just using that ladder you already own.

I bought a DeWalt pole trimmer because I already owned tons of their batteries. It would have been pretty much a waste of money except you can also buy extension poles to take it up another 4' - which is beyond the reach of me, a standard trimmer, and my ladder. Having said that, it is cumbersome at that length and you have to take extreme care with it. Quite easy to trim one of the kids arms off.

The VonHaus looks pretty good. The battery looks small, though. Having said that, I rarely use more than one 2ah to clip my entire hedge.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Thank you for the comments and feedback for the hedge trimmer.
@SpellowHouse must admit after I looked at a few more online started to think the same to a degree.
Probably best to physically see them, but just wanted feedback first before I jump in.

Stihl are nice, but not sure if I would use it enough for that sort of outlay. Then again it should last.

Back
Top Bottom