Restrict access to new document folder in Sharepoint?

Soldato
We run a very simple document library on SharePoint, its used for word, Excel and a few other documents stored in client subfolders. All works great.

I need to set up a "management" folder that only certain staff can have access to. Could anyone suggest what is the best way to do this please? I remember seeing a post somewhere that said you should set up a whole new SharePoint for "management" or "accounts" etc and add the staff to each but seems overkill possibly?

Many thanks, Mark

Man of Honour
By "Library" do you mean SharePoint site?

I'd have thought the easiest way to add a Management Folder would be to add an additional Document Library within the existing site and then change the permissions on that Document Library to only add those who need it.

Soldato
OP
By "Library" do you mean SharePoint site?

I'd have thought the easiest way to add a Management Folder would be to add an additional Document Library within the existing site and then change the permissions on that Document Library to only add those who need it.

Yes that's correct, we have an existing SharePoint site with a document library called "Documents" ‍♂️

I've just set up a new document library on the existing SharePoint but I cant see any settings to add or restrict access?

Man of Honour
Yes that's correct, we have an existing SharePoint site with a document library called "Documents" ‍♂️

I've just set up a new document library on the existing SharePoint but I cant see any settings to add or restrict access?

If you go into the new Document Library; click on the Site Settings Cog at the top and Select "Library Settings"

Then go into "More Library Settings"; in the next screen under "Permissions and Management" hit "Permissions for this document library".

In here you should see the current permissions which apply to the "Management" library.

In here if your looking to have restricted access click "Stop Inheriting Permissions"; this allows you to apply permissions which differ from the site above.

Soldato
my 2 additional thoughts, as @chrismscotland did a good job explaining.

use groups for the permissions and apply the groups to the areas and add the users to the groups not the site is one of my suggestions as well.

check who is a site admin as well. if people are site admin who shouldnt have access to management folder may need to conside actions.

Man of Honour
my 2 additional thoughts, as @chrismscotland did a good job explaining.

use groups for the permissions and apply the groups to the areas and add the users to the groups not the site is one of my suggestions as well.

check who is a site admin as well. if people are site admin who shouldnt have access to management folder may need to conside actions.

100% this

Back
Top Bottom