Road to Rotary: Japan to France in an RX7

Soldato
OP
Normally I'd say anyone with no income putting serious money into something like this was perhaps a bit crazy, but given the response you've already had from pretty major brands and the fact you're already experienced with youtube etc I reckon you've got a good chance of making this work, and maybe even using it as a springboard for future trips / projects. I'll certainly be watching and I imagine a lot of other people will be too.

I mean, it is a bit crazy really. Most would go so far as to say it's stupid in fact. But I think you need a bit of crazy to do something that you'll remember and worst case scenario would be having to sell the car in france and I'd have pretty much most my money back (aside from probably travel costs) but with a ton of memories... so really? What's the risk? Why not! It's not often you have the time to do these things, so I figure it's my time to do the things I would love to and see who is up for sharing in that journey.

Soldato
I guess you've been fully updated with the issue's of short journeys and flooding (we were told in the 90's to keep the engines running when moving pre-delivery RX7's)

Do they make a 4x4 RX7 with a lift kit, or as I would call it for that journey - a Toyota Amazon V8 :cry:

Good luck

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Acme would do it properly and do a DIY engine rebuild on the side of the road.
lol you're such a troll :cry: :cry: :cry:

@sigma you up for a Ring trip? Been talking with Tom etc. about one at some point.

@Akagi doesn't do anything properly, never mind an engine rebuild.
I normally wing most things, but this I am actually trying to do properly. Well, as properly as I can.

Honda Acty search is now on. Should have some auctions to look at next week and see what they look like.

The acty will actually be shipped ROLO to me as soon as it's bought and I'll register it in France, do some work to it, probably respray it white again, not off white, and it'll get shipped back with the RX7 later.

Just spoke to HKS and punted the idea of them providing the GTIII-4R full turbo kit, intercooler and HKS F-CON V Pro ECU so I can have various maps on it for varying qualities of fuel etc.

I mean, casually asking for like nearly $10k worth of parts and they replied saying let them just have a chat internally and see what they can do :cry: let's see!

Associate
lol you're such a troll :cry: :cry: :cry:

@sigma you up for a Ring trip? Been talking with Tom etc. about one at some point.

I normally wing most things, but this I am actually trying to do properly. Well, as properly as I can.

Honda Acty search is now on. Should have some auctions to look at next week and see what they look like.

The acty will actually be shipped ROLO to me as soon as it's bought and I'll register it in France, do some work to it, probably respray it white again, not off white, and it'll get shipped back with the RX7 later.

Just spoke to HKS and punted the idea of them providing the GTIII-4R full turbo kit, intercooler and HKS F-CON V Pro ECU so I can have various maps on it for varying qualities of fuel etc.

I mean, casually asking for like nearly $10k worth of parts and they replied saying let them just have a chat internally and see what they can do :cry: let's see!

Wow, at least it's not a no, surely they must get requests like this all the time, I'm surprised how many sponsors seem up for it tbh.

Caporegime
I mean, it is a bit crazy really. Most would go so far as to say it's stupid in fact. But I think you need a bit of crazy to do something that you'll remember and worst case scenario would be having to sell the car in france and I'd have pretty much most my money back (aside from probably travel costs) but with a ton of memories... so really? What's the risk? Why not! It's not often you have the time to do these things, so I figure it's my time to do the things I would love to and see who is up for sharing in that journey.

I handed my 3 month notice without a job lined up back in 2021 where I basically told my superiors to go do one. Everyone thought I was mad as I was on a well paying job but was one of the best moves of my life!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I handed my 3 month notice without a job lined up back in 2021 where I basically told my superiors to go do one. Everyone thought I was mad as I was on a well paying job but was one of the best moves of my life!
Sometimes doing that thing that everyone thinks you're mad for is actually right, but we've just been told all our lives these things are mad, so we're scared to even try!

Wow, at least it's not a no, surely they must get requests like this all the time, I'm surprised how many sponsors seem up for it tbh.

Yea, to be fair I had no expectations coming into this but the response so far has been really positive!

Lets see where else it goes!

I've got my eyes on a Honda Acty - 1994 with 40,000km on it, 4wd and with A/C which I think the people driving it will appreciate! :cry: lets see if I can get that under budget!
I might have some suspension lined up for that, too from a sponsor :eek:
Auction is tomorrow! Will share it if I win.

Soldato
OP
image.png

This is it... now let's see!

Associate
Sounds like an awesome idea! Although, i hope you get a proper compression test on it before you do so!

I have an FD myself, but it is twin turbo, LS3. /awaits hate

Soldato
OP
350000yen maybe
Yea, that's actually my max budget on it. So I'm going in with that as a top end bid. Well top rank are for me.

I have an FD myself, but it is twin turbo, LS3. /awaits hate
Boooo! :D

Sounds like an awesome idea! Although, i hope you get a proper compression test on it before you do so!
It's going to have a full rebuild before the trip back, so it'll be pretty damn fresh with mostly new components for the journey back.

I've been invited to show case the car at an event in the US next November... tempting to ship it to NY and then drive it to California and it would have basically gone round the world :cry:

Associate
|Didn't get it. It went for a chunk (5k ex. fees) which pushes it into pretty big money for one. I get it, it's mint. Bit you know... I have a 3.5k budget inc fees for one. I don't mind respraying it while it's back home for a bit.

Next week we see what's on the auctions again

Unlike it townhouse buying some things are just meant to be

Back
Top Bottom